First for everything

I’m getting into my late 20’s with alcohol still causing many problems in my life. I first started casually drinking at parties or dinner with friends and then it turned into having a drink or two after work regularly which turned into heavily at parties and at dinner sometimes not even with close friends.

To say the least, it’s messed up a lot of my intimate relationships and even some morning of work. When I’ve had too much I can be very cruel and embarrass myself. I’ve endangered myself and others a few times too. I’m grateful angels have been watching out for me this far.

Most recently I tried quitting last month. Ultimately I broke down and ended Oct with another regretful episode. My family has a slight history of undiagnosed alcoholism. I wish I could reach out to my family or friends but I’m not sure they understand.

This is the first time I have ever tried a support group or even considered getting professional help. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks ya’ll.

9 Likes

Thank you. Your welcoming means a lot and gives me hope.

2 Likes

Sounds familiar. I am in my early 30s and almost 1 month sober. I am a high bottom for sure, with heavy drinkers in the family. These books really helped me.

This Naked Mind
The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober

These 2 youtube channels are great

2 Likes

Welcome! Your story is a lot like mine, and a lot of others here, so you’re definitely not alone. I’m a bit jealous, I wish i would have stopped in my late 20’s, not at 40. I can only imagine all the things I could have done. :blush:

5 Likes

Thank you both. I’ll watch these and pick up the books. I enjoy reading!

1 Like

I will NEVER get tired of hearing your advice. It’s honestly so beneficial and I love it!

2 Likes

I’ve started to listen to Annie Grace tonight. And just WOW. The book is my next stop. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

You are welcome. I feel like my first 2 weeks were spent just reading and listening to her podcasts and videos. It helped reprogram my brain. Good luck to you.

1 Like