First full week since I was 21

I wasn’t always an alcoholic. I started drinking when I was 21, the occasional hard cider on the weekends. Then obviously it progressed. Got to the point of every single day when I was around 25. I turn 28 in September and this is the first time in almost three years I’ve gone an entire week. It’s a little surreal. Honestly didn’t think I could do it. Withdrawal wasn’t too bad, but how emotional I am is pretty weird.

Just thought I would share. I don’t really have anyone else to share this small, but significant victory with.

Hope you guys are well.

8 Likes

Congrats man On your first week. No symptoms even better. Don’t worry about being emotional sometimes the withdrawals make you feel like that, but if thats all you got be grateful some people like me had it rough during the first week.

2 Likes

Congrats! Keep going, great thing you realized it early. Took me 23 years and I’m still working on it daily! God bless you, you got this! Salute

1 Like

It is amazing, the things we can accomplish even while doubting ourselves. One week is tough to get thru. But after making it this far, it feels great to keep going. You will amaze yourself with what you truly can do. Emotions are crazy for a while bc you’ve numbed them for so long that you aren’t used to how they should feel and they might be whirring around in circles, not knowing how you’ll feel next, but it’ll balance out. Your brain will begin to heal. Congrats on 1 week! That’s a hard feat for a lot of people out there. Read around and find something that will work for you. It works if you work it. All the best :pray:

1 Like

Trust me it’s not small and is very significant! Thanks for sharing. I wish I would have had the courage to tell myself that after your time/age of drinking. Instead I kept drinking for almost 7 more years! Sober now and loving it. Congratulations on your week and seeing your own victory!

2 Likes

What makes something a ‘small’ or ‘large’ victory is really subjective. If it’s an important victory to you, then it’s a big deal and should be celebrated. Never compare your victories with that of others. You’re doing great. Keep it up!

2 Likes