First outing where family were drinking

So im 97 days… Thursday gone i went to my first outing where i knew there would be alcohol around freely, it was my dear great aunties 80th birthday …in her house…organised by her 2 daughters my cousins who ive always gotten on well with…only my mother and one of my cousins know about my drink problem…i felt a little nervous but as soon as we got there and drinks were being handed out my cousin immediately said…oh Kelly is driving shall i make you a coffee?? She totally had my back…what surprised me after that was that the not drinking didnt bother me and i really enjoyed the night! Infact as im watching others swill their wine all i could think was…yuk!

17 Likes

Congrats on so many counts Kelly! Really happy for you and your sober progress. Just keep going and you’ll never be stopped. Hugs.

4 Likes

Couldn’t do it without you guys, thank you so much :blush: :heartbeat:

3 Likes

Congratulations! I am finding that everything that I thought I needed a drink for I really didn’t. And every time I don’t drink the next time is easier. Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Yeah its wierd isnt it but in a good way…makes me think we really are kinda conditioned to think we need it…then once you dont have it u realize you dont…

4 Likes

Love this!! Congratulations on making it through and for having fun! So nice when people have your back.

2 Likes

Amazing! And hooray for supportive family!

2 Likes

Thats really awesome of your cousin to have your back like that. Completely supportive without putting you on the spot.

1 Like

Family outings in these situations can be tough yes. It seems like they didn’t get offended by your sobriety so that is a good sign for your future interactions with them.

1 Like

I thanked her afterward was really good of her, im lucky that way, it meant alot

1 Like

The most surprising thing for me was how unaffected i felt by the drinking around me, i didnt feel like i was missing out infact i almost felt bad for them for the hangovers theyd all have the next day…i dont know how to explain it but i felt like i was sitting there knowing something that everyone else didnt about how bad drinking really is…

2 Likes

Yeah its like that when you are sober around a bunch of drunk people…

1 Like