First post, a confessional

Hi everyone. Today I decided enough was enough, I’m done drinking, and somehow stumbled onto this site. I figured one of the first things I should do is write down all the misery alcohol has caused in my life, write it all down and take a good look at myself before making some serious changes, so here we go…deep breath

A letter to myself
Dear Sally,
Remember that night you were driving on the wrong side of the road? You could have killed someone, you could have killed yourself, what would Lyla do if you never came home?

Can you recall all the nights you black out before 6PM, all the nights you cant remember putting lyla to sleep? All the nights you bath your daughter so blacked out drunk, you can’t even remember if you fed her dinner. Do you even know how many times lyla cries for you at night and you cant hear the baby monitor because you’ve passed out from drinking.

Can you recall all the embarrassing things you’ve done while intoxicated? Remember when you fell down that flight of stairs?

Remember when you ran out of beer, because 6 or 10 or however much just wasnt enough? So you left your daughter home alone sleeping in her crib and drove “right down the road” to the gas station for more?

Remember how it feels, those rare mornings when you wake up and didn’t drink yourself into a coma the night before? When you actually wake up feeling good, instead of trying to survive the mornings predictable hangover.

Do you remember all the days you’ve called off work, knowing you need the money, because you’re too hungover to wake up.

Remember how you become a slut when you drink? Remember that amazing man that loves you that you forget to be faithful to when you black out from all the alcohol? Remember thinking “I would never have done that if I were sober”…you should be ashamed. And you are.

Remember all the hard earned money you blow on beer every. Single. Day.

Try to remember the life you can’t recall living because you were too drunk.

You are better than this. You could type out all the reasons why you drink but we both know ultimately they are excuses and that you have a problem.

You have a problem. You are an alcoholic and you’ve done things under the influence of alcohol that you would NEVER do sober. It’s time to change. Today is the day. You are DONE.

41 Likes

… even I have bookmarked it :+1::pray:

4 Likes

Welcome @SoberSally! Congrats on day one, that is the biggest milestone of all! Deciding to be sober was one, if not the most, important and fulfilling decisions I’ve ever made. I’m sure that, in time, you will feel the same. Welcome to our community and I hope you stick around! :blush:

5 Likes

Welcome. I am glad you are here. It’s clear that you want to be better. Decide to be better, and then work to be better.

I hope this will help you get started on your journey: sobriety is simple, but it’s not easy. It’s simple because in order to do it, you only have to say “no” to one drink…the drink that matters…the first drink. If you say “no” to this drink, there won’t be a second or third or eighth. You win, 100%.

But if you say “yes” to the first drink, you lose. The only question remains how badly you lose. Maybe you lose a little…one drink, some disappointment, a counter-reset. Maybe you lose a lot…blacking out, waking up in a strange place, or worse, handcuffed to a bed.

Yes, it is simple. But, it is difficult because you have to say “no” to the hardest person in the world to say “no” to…yourself.

You’ve decided to be better. Better begins with sober. Each day sober you get better at getting better. Better today than you were yesterday, and tomorrow better still.

I hope you will stay, getting better at getting better.

Peace

11 Likes

Welcome Sally; that was a great letter and very moving; I’m glad you’re here. Really proud of you, that was felt deeply. :gift_heart:

4 Likes

This is powerful!

1 Like

Welcome… that was a powerful letter. I had similar regret, a lot. I got sober at 24, for a year and 45 for a year. I’m now 50 and can relate to everything you wrote.
It doesn’t change if you keep drinking. In fact everything got worse for me and the guilt, remorse and shame got bigger.
I’m 22 days Sober today and am thankful I wake up everyday, not having had a drink the night before. It’s not easy but the relief is worth it.
Best of luck. Like someone said… it’s not picking up that first drink.
Thinking of you and your daughter :blush:

3 Likes

Welcome Sally, that was very moving. Read that letter when you feel tempted to take another drink to remind yourself why you decided stop. This illness is the only illness that tries to convince us that we don’t have it. Cunning baffling & powerful. Stay strong.

1 Like

Welcome. My name is Jim. This letter was very moving. Sober is a great place to be. I realized that 169 days ago after many slips. Please utilize the wealth of knowledge and the wisdom folks bring to the table. Lean on us in times of despair as well as in times of accomplishment. This forum and these people have helped my greatly. I see from your letter you have a daughter, my son is my why. You CAN do this, you aren’t alone and we ALL got your back! Don’t be a CV stranger. I wish you continued luck on your sober journey.

2 Likes

This came at a perfect time for me. When I drink I black out and hurt my bf. It used to be private but the other night it was public for the third time. I tried TSM. Does not work for me. I have begged for a last chance. He is my best friend. I am praying real hard for strength.

1 Like

Sober sally you still here? Keep us posted

1 Like

Hi Sally . Thats a powerful letter to yourself. Take each day slowly and be’ kind to you and those around you. Its a start of a whole new world

2 Likes

Welcome! Glad to have you here. I admit I have done some of those drunk mom moments… no more. DONE
Check in here a lot. It’s a lifesaver. Literally

1 Like

This was honesty at its purest,how are you doing today