First real temptation = Success

One simply does not go to a Bavarian restaurant without ordering a Stein.

Big test for my 7th day sober. Was not easynholding a Coke and looking at the 6+ Steins of beer on the table next to ours.

#StayStrong #ForTheGreaterGood.

8 Likes

Good job. It gets easier, but I do suggest staying away from such places early on.

3 Likes

Well done for resisting temptation, but there’s also the question if why do it to yourself!
Why put yourself under more pressure.
I know it’s nice to carry on doing nice things but sometimes the temptation can be that step to far.

4 Likes

Great job! :tada:
The first weeks I avoided alcohol related events because of the temptation. It helped, now I’m more then 7 months sober. I’m stronger now so I don’t avoid it anymore, I can handdle it now.
Congratulations with your first week! :facepunch:

1 Like

Thanks all.

Why do it? I guess I wanted to face my temptation early on in hopes that if I just get on with life (before time weakens my determination) by accepting that temptation is all around me it would strengthen my resolve.

I have in the past tried to avoid temptation and I have failed. So this is something new for me. A theory. Don’t know if it’s the right or wrong decision, only different.

For me that has come over the last couple of months.
From the start the whole accepting that I have no control over alcohol has also included the fact that I would have no control over where or how I would come into contact with it.
In the future.
But to set the ground work in the beginning, I took the advice of most people on here who said that it was best to stay away from temptation.
Everyone’s journey is different, but I didn’t want to test my sobriety until I felt I was strong enough.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice Geo. I really appreciate and listen. I went there today only because I felt strong enough to say no. Had I felt any doubt, I wouldn’t have walked in the door.

I have never been so determined to move forward in my life. But that’s now. I can only hope I feel the same way in a month, and in 6 months.

First weekend in a while I got up early both days, got all the housework done early, then had time to spend with the family.

Massive contrast to last weekend. Woke up 10am in a bad mood due to hangover, got into a fight with the misses, walked out of the house slamming the door behind me. What an arsehole that guy was.

The only good that came from that was downloading this app and meeting you and others on this forum that have similar stories.

2 more hours and I achieve the 1 week challenge!!

1 Like

Might be worth looking in to this thread.

1 Like

Keep that determination going. 7days is great.
I couldn’t believe when I had a week. I would say it was probably one of the longest weeks ever!
By the time I had 2 weeks in, I was determined not to loose it, under any circumstance! It was bloody hard at times, fighting an inner battle with the demon, but I kept that thought of loosing all the hard work and starting again.
I’d say don’t worry too much about how you will be in the future.
By taking each day as it comes, I’ve got to nearly 6 months and have not felt better since I was a kid I think. All aspects of my life have improved, big time!
Also remember that bloke last week. Keep that in mind. You don’t want to be him ever again.
And keep smiling :grinning:

2 Likes

Hello @mallen. Great to hear about your 7 days. Yeah!

We read experiences like yours often, and you got some good feedback. They are right.

I cannot enter a bar. Against my boundaries. Because I’m weak. I have no will power. None. Because I’m addicted. And I’m okay with that for the rest of my life.

Good to have you with us. Keep it up! You can do this!

1 Like

Different thoughts and opinions on this subject. My 2 cents…without my sobriety I have nothing. Early on, I would avoid everything that had alcohol. As time went on, and I got stronger…I still avoided it, now because it is just not the life style I choose to be a part of.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. I agree that too much temptation or too often is not good. But with situation, temptation is hard to avoid.

I never liked hanging out at bars or clubs. Too noisy for me. I never had that as a serious temptation.

I have for the last 10 years been a quiet drinker. I would pick up a drink on the way home, wait for the family to go to bed, put on a movie and sit in my living room drinking and drowning out reality.

Sad I know. But that was the way I dealt with my stress and depression. (Though it’s very obvious now that the booze causes the depression for me).

applied to my situation, out of the next 100 drives home, one of those drives will end in failure.

I am determined to not let this happen. I understand the core reasons behind the issue. I’m working on proving to myself that I am a better person and happier without alcohol.

Never told anyone about that before. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest.

1 Like

It’s great to share my friend!:grinning:
The majority of my drinking was at home and work.
I’d pick up on the way to work. Go into the village at lunch to get more, then pick up on the way home. Drink when everyone else is upstairs!
I still do the same route, still go in the same shop. It was hard, very hard but with the determination, it was possible.:grinning:

Edit last statement. I told my wife about it yesterday. Came clean for the first time. Showed her my stash of wine bottles that I hadn’t had the chance to secretly throw out (Hide in the bin below other garbage).

It’s been a week of confession and growth.

She had no idea apparently. She came to just think I was lazy and grumpy in the mornings. The last week she has been wondering where the energy came from. Lol.

1 Like

She took it surprisingly well. If she sees more of the person she did this last week, she will forgive. But now that she knows, I cannot stuff up!

Thanks again for the advice everyone. Now 11pm here, time to hit the hay so I can get up early tomorrow and hit the gym for the first time in years.

3 Likes

Maybe try a meeting they help wish you well