First time actually joining any recovery program

Hey I’m kirst, I’ve never actually used any sort of platform to talk about my addiction, this isn’t my first time trying to get sober, I was consistently drinking for about 3 years (approximation) everything tends to get a little hazy when you’re constantly intoxicated. I’ve been admitted to the hospital multiple times trying to get better, to seek help. The last time was May 17th. I went into the hospital, started detox at home with the help of medication, under constant supervision. I was sober until last night. I don’t know why I drank, I just couldn’t get the thought out of my head. I hated myself the moment I had my first sip. I woke up today hurting, but not defeated. I want to make this work, I want to be stronger, and healthy, I look at pictures of my self when I was little, and think about how awful it is to poison her with alcohol. And I look to my friends and family and want to be better for them, as well as myself. So today is a new day. I have no intention of going back to my old ways. And maybe this forum is a step in the right direction. I figured it was worth a try. So hello, I hope everyone is doing well, and yeah. This is me lol.

4 Likes

Welcome Kirstin.
I’ve never sought out any support before my recovery either until I found this app. Of course we all have different journeys in this life. I have had a lot of experience with my children in and out of rehabs and their recovery. At 60 now and retired. The stressors of taking care of parents with dementia are gone. After 45 years of drinking I realized I don’t want to finish my life drunk and hungover. This app and the people at TS have been great for me.

However when I was much younger I tried to stop drinking and doing drugs on my own a countless number of times and I always failed. I think if I really wanted to quit in my younger days I should have gone to AA meetings. A lot of AA meetings. Or got some kind of support.

Addiction is a beast. The devils perfect work.
Good luck on your journey and just for today do not have that one drink. Your worth it. One day at a time.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

Welcome. This is a good forum. I hope it’s useful for you.

1 Like