First Time is a Charm?

Hi. New here. Just getting started for Lent. I don’t recognized alcohol creating problems in my life, but I do use it as a means to help me relax after a long day. It also helps with my anxiety for a time being but the next day the anxiety is back full force. As someone with mental health concerns and a family history of alcoholism, I think I should stop drinking and focus on healthier coping mechanisms. I’m also getting older and the wine calories don’t burn the way they used to. Alcohol is just a cop out for me and I’m ready to call it quits. Day 1

15 Likes

Welcome to TS Angelica! Here’s to day one and even beyond Lent!

2 Likes

Good for you Angelica! It’s a nice feeling to make a choice like that for yourself isn’t it? Letting go of that crutch - it feels great :innocent:

1 Like

I can relay the anxiety is definitely worse the next day after drinking. And it’s only a temporary fix. I am extremely dedicated and focused to working on my mental health more than anything. My anxiety has gotten out of control to a certain point where I started having things delivered and avoiding places, just feeling physically sick from it. But I’ve learned I had to make changes besides drinking I had to get a morning routine that involves quitting coffee, I have to have more quiet time than other people and I accept that. I am sensitive to the food and medication I give myself. So I had to eat right. Also the last couple weeks I’ve been reaching out on here like crazy. And Sometimes I try to answer questions. It’s good that you see some problems it might be causing… I hope things get better for you and good luck and I hope you have a good day

4 Likes

Welcome Angelica :green_heart:

3 Likes

Welcome , Angelica. I was surprised to learn how alcohol feeds and amps up anxiety; not a good mix. Best of success on your Lenten journey.

3 Likes

Welcome Angelica.

Hope to see you around.
:pray::heart:

1 Like

Welcome! We are all here to help you with your journey.

Quick question, just for pondering

Does it really help at all? I drank to help with anxiety, come to find out…it was making it worse.

I only ask, because if that is the case…it might just help you on your path!

Reach out if you need help!

3 Likes

Good for you. You don’t need it. Alcohol is a lie. Even the relaxation is a lie, as you say, next day anxiety makes you pay double.

Welcome here and all the best for your journey. :rainbow:

1 Like

We’ve got this!

It makes my suicidal anxiety less for a time being, but then sober me has worse anxiety the next day.