First weekend sober in a very long time

Well, i’m a newbie. Trying to break the hold my habits and my addiction to alcohol have had on my life. I’m to day 4. This coming weekend will be the first weekend in a very long time that i’ve been sober the whole time…not even one drink. Im very anxious about it. Trying to make plans to keep me busy and away from temptation. I am stronger than this and damnit i need to build up my will again. Please send thoughts and prayers

19 Likes

Same here. A lot of us are in the same boat. You definitely are not alone. I’m on day 6.

7 Likes

I’ll put you in my prayers. You got this. Maybe make a list of all the reasons you chose to stop drinking before the weekend. Then if you are struggling you can reference the list.

4 Likes

Today is my day one and I am grateful you shared this. I truly needed to hear that I am not alone! Thank You :pray:

8 Likes

Try to think of the waking up feeling fresh and the things you stand to gain rather than thinking of the things you think you lose through not drinking.

I find changing my prospective and outlook on this helps.

So instead of the missing out feeling, the “but what are my mates upto” “the false belief of enjoyment from drink” etc. Think of what you stand to gain. Better health, sleep, save money, more pro active the next day, no hang over… etc.

Always try to look at the positives rather than the negatives…

You got this. :facepunch:

3 Likes

Well done. This is my fourth day. Weekends are hard but you’ve got this. Imagine how good you will feel in the morning when you wake up fresh ? Then repeat. You will prove so much to yourself this weekend. Breathe, walk, mediate, journal, stay strong x

3 Likes

Weekends were scary for me at first. I jumped around doing lots of things to stay occupied- crochet, cook something, clean something, play a game, go for a walk, go for another walk lol. There’s always something going on on TS, or reading a bunch of old posts ( Daily Gratitude List is my favorite). I listened to a bunch of podcasts too. It gets easier. I’ll be thinking of you.

3 Likes

I’m loving podcasts, too.

1 Like

Whatcha listening to? I’ve been listening to one lately called History Chicks- very entertaining if your into history!
I listen to a few different recovery ones but need something different at times.

1 Like

Try to see the weekend as just an ordinary day, it helped me to do so. Avoid every alcohol related event/places/friends.
Maybe it’s a good time to binge watch a Netflix serie ore go for a long walk in nature?
For recovery podcast I would recommend: Recovery elevator.

If you are craving, come here and vent! It helps as well! :facepunch:

2 Likes

You got this!! I found that filling the fridge with nice food and lots of cakes and sweet treats helped in the early days. Lots of different herbal teas and soft drinks too. Keep your mind and hands busy, do you have any old hobbies that you’d like to start again? Drawing and journaling is good. And stick here with us! We are always here, keeping it other company. Check out the meme thread if you fancy a giggle. Just don’t drink today!!! Then tomorrow rinse and repeat. I promise you that it does get easier! The voice in your head gets a little quieter each time you ignore it and don’t drink. Welcome to the family! :pray:t2::two_hearts::two_hearts:

2 Likes