For all of you who have quit smoking

I have been smoking for over 10 years, I’m 9 days sober and am planning to quit smoking on Monday. I chain smoke in the morning with my coffee. I was going to buy a disposable ecig for the first few mornings just to be able to have a puff if I’m going crazy. Any other advice?? I figure if I can quit drinking, I should be able to do this too. I waited so I was not trying to quit too much at one time. Is it too early to quit something else? Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!!

1 Like

I quit smoking two years before I quit drinking so I’m not sure about doing it all together. Nothing Is impossible. Keep drinking your plenty of water…when you want a cig, drink a tall glass of cold water. I used cinnamon altoids for a while. And lots of chewing gum (but beware bad ingredients especially for IBS sufferers and also lots of chewing can cause tension headaches). There are good apps that have timelines that tell you how your body has improved in real time as well as milestones achieved. Its hard but you will be soooooo grateful not to be a slave to nicotine anymore. It took me a couple times to quit cigs even relapsed after a year but every time you quit you increase your chances…

2 Likes

This is really inspiring me to quit I smoke 2 packs a day and I’m 26 and wheeze and cough worse than my grandma lol the elderly lady next door took a walk with me to the pop machine and was fine while I felt like I’d taken a two mile run in under five mins. … So embarrassing. I think if your past withdrawal it’d b a great idea to quit it all at once. I can imagine how much your health would improve & for the record your awesome :wink:

2 Likes

I quit smoking when I was 10 months sober. The first week without cigarettes, I was going insane and wanted to drink after not wanting to drink for MONTHS. The withdrawal from cigarettes made me CRAVE alcohol.

It would have been wayy too much had I decided to quit smoking 9 days sober. But if you really want to try it so early in sobriety, I would suggest sugar loading to curb cravings. My first week without cigarettes I drank like five Cokes a day. I’m now 35 days without a cigarette and quit eating sugar 13 days ago.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I hope you make the decision to stop too! 2 packs is a lot, maybe even cutting back will help. But I know how hard it is. I tried cutting back and it backfired, I ended up smoking more because I was focusing on it all the time lol

2 Likes

I’m going to try the cinnamon altoids! I also read that if you spray lemon juice in the back of your throat when you crave something, it goes away. But I like my tooth enamel lol thanks!

3 Likes

@Oliverjava @Rachel_Marie thanks for the advice! I guess I will give it a go and if it makes me crazy or think about drinking then I’ll just buy my cigs and wait until later down the road.

I heard it wasn’t a good idea to do both at the same time. Like quitting drinking/using and then doing an intense diet. Can be overwhelming.

I didn’t smoke when I stopped drinking, but I have a history of smoking. I can’t even be around people smoking because I want one. I know I’d trade my drinking for another addiction in a heart beat.

1 Like

@Elisabeth To be honest, I think I traded my vodka habit for my new fitness addiction. My day used to revolve around making it through to happy hour so I could start drinking and now I obsessively walk, work out, and eat healthy. At least this one is improving my health for now lol if I quit smoking I might be able to go from walking to jogging. My blood pressure is almost back down to a healthy number too. I guess I’ll just try, but not push it. If it’s too much I’ll wait until layer down the road. Thanks for the advice :grinning:

3 Likes

I quit smoking tobacco cigs using an ecig. I know there are mixed reviews on if they are unhealthy or not but personally I feel 10x better since I switched over. Breathing better, BP is better and no stinking clothes, car or breath. Much easier on the wallet too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will follow your progress on this as I am thinkinf the same thing, except i’m 15 days sober… I have a friend who has gone through a huge 8 month rehab and has been in recovery for years and he still chainsmokes. It worries me.

1 Like

I’m quitting cigarettes at 11 days sober. The only reason I’m doing it now is because even the cheap packs have gone up to $14. I just can’t justify spending that much on one pack of cigs! I am on Zyban (Wellbutrin) which is a known smoking cessation prescription and is also an anti anxietant. My Dr strongly recommended to NOT use an ecig but the Nicorette Inhaler instead. You can get it at the pharmacy. I’m one day in and not having any significant cravings. When I do, I use the Inhaler and tell myself that I’m a non smoker so why am I craving it? I don’t smoke! Sounds silly but it helps me. Good luck!!

3 Likes

Thanks for all of the advice. I’m going to enjoy every single cigarette I have today and slowly tell them all goodbye. Tomorrow I’m going to wake up and give this the best shot I can and we’ll just see how it goes. I’m not going to beat myself up if I buy a pack of cigarettes tomorrow though :grinning:

1 Like

Lol @SmirnoffSiren I do the exact same thing at the thought if quitting …or when I’m worried about running out b4 the store opens in the morning

1 Like

Wow $14 a pack & I thought they were high here at almost $5 that shows the difference in prices in different areas

1 Like

Good luck to everyone quitting and congrats to everyone who’s already won that hurdle. If anyone was to be like me and have a really hard time I would like to say that the e ciggs did help me cut my habit in half one time. At first I didn’t like them but when I found the right flavor I was able to use one for a long time. Although its def not like quitting all together it might help wheen you as you can go down on the mg of nicotine in them.

1 Like

Since I’m honest to a fault, I have to go ahead and get this out. I’m not a morning person. I just got my kids on the bus, took 2 sips of coffee…and lit a cigarette. :open_mouth: I guess my brain is not ready to quit even though my lungs are begging me, they’re getting super jelly of my liver :joy:

But I know one thing, I will not smoke any cigs after the kids get back from school because I told them I was quitting and they were soooo happy. I don’t want to let them down. So I’ll only e cig it in the afternoon/evenings. That’s at least a step.

i had to call off school and work and lock myself in my apartmenr for 24 hours. i was so tired i was confined to the bed. the first 48 hours were the hardest

1 Like

I’m on day 3 of non smoking and day 14 of alcohol. To be honest, I’m having a harder time quitting the smokes. I use the Nicorette Inhaler (Dr recommended). I also ask myself ‘why are you craving a cigarette? You don’t smoke!’ Just to get the positive message in my brain. I also use HALT just like with alcohol. Are you Hungry Angry Lonely or Tired (I also use Thirsty). Then I address that issue instead of smoking. Every baby step helps and you can do this! One hour by one hour until you’ve done a full 24. Keep trying, you WILL succeed :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Selena I’m still weak with my sobriety, I proved that to myself last night. I think I was trying to quit too much and change too much at one time and put my brain into a tailspin. I’m going to stick with my ciggies a little longer, but I really like your advice. When I’m at a point where I can handle puttng them down, I’m going to use that! Thanks!:grinning: