FORUM advice for newbies (and maybe the not so new)

Something practical that’s been a huge benefit for me.

Using the tracking feature.

For the most part, after I read a thread, it’s set to normal. But if I post on it, the thread changes to tracking. If I don’t post on it, I can still change it manually from normal to tracking.

The benefit is that only tracked threads will show up as unread.

That’s why so many threads here often get forgotten. And when someone posts something new on a normalized thread, I most likely won’t notice it.

I used to set almost every thread to tracking so I wouldn’t miss anything. Now, I’m getting a little more selective.

3 Likes

No I know that you weren’t, I was just trying to explain the reasoning behind the thread, the idea behind it so to speak. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I sometimes find it helpful to look at the forum through the Categories sorting, instead of all the threads together. That way I can see newer threads a little easier.

1 Like

Hey I wasn’t debating, merely explaining the vein in which the thread was intended.
You can’t tar me with that brush on this one. :laughing::laughing::grin::grin::joy::rofl::sob:

Hi! I just want to add that I have three years next month and this form has been a beautiful and effective tool. In the beginning I just scrounged around and read everywhere I could and gradually learned how to use it on my own. And now after all this time my technique is I go straight to the new category and read the new posts.

6 Likes

Thank you @Eliz :+1:

Damn, i got premium and i still only get a certain amount of likes to give out per day? Bummer :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’m glad you bumped this thread, and hopefully we can add to it now also.

1 Like

This might seem obvious, but in case it isn’t:

The forum can be accessed on your desktop/laptop computer through a browser and not only through the app on your phone.

For me, any meaningful engagement beyond posting cat pictures, leaving hearts, and giving the briefest of replies isn’t through the app because it is easier and faster on a PC, and it’s not all on a little screen. Given that some people don’t realize right away that there is a forum attached to the counter in the app, I don’t think it is unreasonable to not realize the forum doesn’t need to be accessed via the app.

An extra tip for the interested: There are cheap USB to USB-C converters which will allow you to plug a normal keyboard into your mobile phone. I have used this to reply on some threads here in TS in the past, but also it can be useful for longer texts when you are at home.

4 Likes

Ah just realized i dont have “regular” status anymore. Guess il just have to stick around and hopefully get that badge back!

2 Likes

Won’t take long!

2 Likes

@C_8, you are missed. :heart::people_hugging::heart:

4 Likes

I think for this forum, the best advice I can give is to read the room.

We are all individuals with different personalities and experiences, and that’s makes
what makes this a great place, so it’s important observe and follow what is socially acceptable behavior, i.e. the unwritten rules.

6 Likes

Thank you Sassy, that means a lot. It has been a few minutes hasn’t it. :sweat_smile:
This place used to be my lifeline, I should hang out more often.

2 Likes