Four years sober today

The last day I drank was on the three day Labor Day weekend in 2014. Nothing I used to like more than a three day weekend to tie one on. My friend and I started with a boozy brunch and then continued drinking at different bars throughout the day until we had a drunken blow out fight at one of our “home bars” at the end of the street. What I remember was a dissatisfaction I felt that day: I kept trying to get to the fun place but couldn’t, no matter how much I drank. With each additional bar and drink I was aware that the fun still hadn’t hit. The fight at the end wasn’t our first and it wasn’t our worst but when I realized why my friend was angry, I could not defend myself because what she said was true. I had betrayed very private and personal information about her to her now ex-boyfriend a year prior while I was drunk. It was indefensible. I wanted to explain and mitigate and yell why had she waited so long to tell me why she was angry but the truth was I knew I was wrong and I had no defense. I stopped drinking then, at that moment and have not picked up a drink since.

Sobriety for me has been quiet and thoughtful and sometimes hard but overall definitely good. I still say plenty of asshole things and make lots of mistakes but I know what I say now. I no longer afford myself the excuse of “well I was drunk” to explain what I’ve done or didn’t do. I’ve dialed down the drama in my life and it’s really nice to live without it. And I was able to salvage the friendship and fight that led to my sobriety and I am really grateful.

37 Likes

Congrats!!!

2 Likes

It’s funny how active drinking is like a whirlwind, howling through our lives and randomly destroying relationships and achievements. And sobriety is calmly reflective, giving us the ability to pause and observe things without reacting to them immediately.

When we stay sober today, we lay down one more paving stone on the road to our Nirvana. Congrats on your 4 years, and on this one day more. Blessings on your house :pray:.

4 Likes

Thank you and yes, exactly.

1 Like

Thank you and I agree. My officemate at work, who has only known me as sober, told me the other day how much he appreciated how “even keeled” I am. I certainly didn’t used to be. Change is possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congratulations all your hard work is paying off.

1 Like

Well done. It’s hard to take responsibility for what you do, but that is a big step in the right direction. Like you, I remember what I do and say now. I still have to apologize when I screw up, but it happens less often when I don’t drink. Keep it up!

1 Like

Wow girl!! I know that I’ve seen you around since I got here but I had no idea you have been sober that long!! Great work pal!

Thanks for sharing😉

3 Likes

Thank you!:grinning:

@Alliecat, 4 years, Awesome!! Taking responsibility, double awesome!! Many congratulations. A huge inspiration. Thank you.

1 Like

Truly an inspiring story.

Cheers to you and your sobriety.

1 Like

4 years is huge!!! Congratulations.

1 Like

@SinceIAwoke I love that image you create. “When we stay sober today, we lay down one more paving stone on the road to our Nirvana”.
I am going to memorise that and visualise it as a tool. Thank you :pray:

Congratulations! You inspire me. Thank you.

1 Like

I am so proud of you @Alliecat :hugs: Love your quiet, thoughtful, drama-free sobriety! I have no doubt your best days are still ahead of you! Happy 4th Birthday :heart:

2 Likes

You are coming up on 5 years! 5 years of getting better at getting better each and every day!

4 Likes

It’s pretty amazing when I realize I’ve been sober that long. Much healthier and happier than I was five years ago. Thanks for noticing!

6 Likes