Friday booze blues

This is my umpteenth attempt at getting sober. First week, just 5 days and now Friday’s here. I guess you can all relate the acronym TGIF really SUCKS when you’re trying to quit. See, I know all the reasons I should quit. I have a young child that needs me, feel physically drained, health is suffering…then I think of the reasons I NEED that drink. Marriage is falling apart, I’m separated, lonely, stressed, bored. But that one drink is going to be a BIG one and maybe another tomorrow…need Help!

3 Likes

Right, but will that one big drink help you care for your child? Work on your marriage? Heal your body? Erase your loneliness? Undoubtedly not. You may be dumb and oblivious for a bit, but all of those problems will still be waiting for you. Only now they’re compounded by the physical and emotional torture that alcohol has wrought on you.

I know TGIF seems shitty without alcohol, but it’s actually been better for me. It means a fun night with my husband that I remember the next morning. Saturday gets to be full of outings and not wasted over a toilet bowl. Try to look at it differently. Alcohol makes people sheep. You’re a strong, independent person not a sheep! You can do this. It’s hard but you’ll thank yourself in the long run. Stay strong!!

9 Likes

Flip that stinking thinking on its head pal! Reading your post I didn’t see any reasons TO drink. I saw 6 or 7 reasons TO NOT drink tho. A drink won’t help any of those. Far from it. A drink will make every one of those things you mentioned.
We have a saying around here. Goes something like “there’s no problem that a drink can’t make worse”

9 Likes

Back to day 1…drank 1 BIG one…but I have the rest of the weekend to stay sober.

1 Like

When I was reminiscing about the lovely taste of that first drink, my sponsor quickly said to me, “Sure, but watch the tape until the end. How does it look then?”

The answer is that it inevitably ends in me drinking five, six… more…not remembering the night past a certain point, wondering what I had said and done, feeling like hell the next day, hateing myself yet again.

My sponsor is also fond of saying, “All you have to do right now is not pick up the first one. That’s it!”

If you are honestly, sincerely ready to quit, you can do this. This forum is a great source of support. You are not alone.

2 Likes

56 days in the books…5 minutes before I punch out, in walks Lacey. She was my “drinking buddy”. She wanted to paint the town red with me. I was honest with her, I Couldn’t. Out she walked. I set here on the couch, by myself, bored to tears. Know what…it’s the happiest I have ever been. I made it one more day. I get the horrible marriage. I get being lonely. But when you say no to that drink on Friday, and it was extremly tempting to say yes, nothing feels better.

9 Likes

Honestly, I didn’t even really think about it being Friday until I read this post. All it means to me is I have tomorrow off. I can go to the early birds meeting tomorrow at 730 a.m. I should be in bed lol.

Seriously, once you get some time under your belt it becomes just another day. I thought I would miss the whole night life scene, but I really don’t. Spending $200 at a bar trying to impress some random chick really isn’t as fun as I thought it was…

3 Likes

TGIFAIS. Thank God it’s Friday and I’m Sober. Life’s too good sober to drink. I don’t need to unwind, because I don’t let myself get wound up. When I get tight, I pray, Thy will not mine be done and amazingly it works. Get irritated at work, pray for serenity and it arrives. Cold silence with the wife because of a disagreement, pray for guidance and somehow I’m now talking to her, admitting my faults and giving her a hug. Sounds stupid simple because it is, I’ll never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Booze improves zero situations. It’s all perception, and your perception is your reality.

5 Likes

There is absolutely nothing good you will find at the bottom of that bottle. How’d you do? I love weekends more now that I’m sober, I never imagined that would be the case as a weekend drinker. I’m more clear headed sober, I get a ton more accomplished and I truly am working toward living a life I absolutely love. The rest will all fall into place as long as I’m sober and keep myself moving. It’s not easy. I just buried my grandfather yesterday, I’m in the middle of a failing relationship I was too drunk to realize doesnt work as well and I’m still sober. Only because of that I’m able to really move forward. Hugs, you’ve got this!

4 Likes

This is slave thinking. This is the way defeated people think. Everything is happening to them. They want something they think they can control (drinking) to numb the effects of the things they can’t control. Oh well. Life sucks. Might as well drink.

When you are strong and sober, you think less about what is happening to you…because you make things happen. You can happen to things. You can change the trajectory of your life. You can see the rocks and shoals and sail between them, rather than being a rudderless boat, at the mercy of the storm.

You are separated. Do you want to save the marriage, or end it? Do you want a stable household for you child, or the chaos that is the alcoholic home? You can decide. You can choose. Start first by choosing to never drink again, and then never drink again. Choose to be self-disciplined, and then be self-disciplined. Choose better. Be better.

7 Likes

Thanks StevieTee, I never thought about it that way, being a slave to alcohol as an easy way out to not have to deal with anything. No wonder I have no control over my life, which is the WORST feeling in the world. That truly inspired me and everything else everyone said.

2 Likes

I heard in a meeting recently something that makes me stop and think. The drink is a liquid that I’ve been allowing to enslave me… a LIQUID.

1 Like

Another Saturday night, another 11:00 p.m. bedtime. It’s so nice getting up early on the weekends to hit the early birds meeting (chirp chirp chirp). Easily one of the best meetings in Syracuse. It regularly gets 100 people and probably close to 1,000 years sobriety.

What means TGIFT? I am sorry I don’t know the meaning of that.
Count at least on my prayers. Maybe sobriety sounds hard but it is worth it

TGIF = Thank God It’s Friday

1 Like

But what about the extra T? Mysteries

Thank you for the answer!!!

1 Like