Friday nights are my enemy

I relapsed after a couple days and yet again. It’s Friday night and I got very drunk in a 3 hour time frame. My friends where there so I just went along with it. I know I shouldn’t have. I feel so stupid. It’s amazing what peer pressure does.

I had to stop hanging out on Fridays. Most of my drinking buddies moved on, but a few understood and do other things with me now.
You need to alter your situations to avoid the temptation.

I ride my bike every Saturday morning. It forces me to be sober on Friday night.

You should spend time trying to find alternatives that will work for you. Cooking, movie night, sleep and get up early (plan something with a friend on Saturday morning), etc.

5 Likes

When i got into recovery i had to change people places and things. I’d suggest you try aa meetings and make some new friends who will help you through your recovery x

Same here, Friday nights are deadly for me… it’s like the freedom from work and the chance to just let loose… ugh

Well done on the 2 days. Now you have learnt something very valuable.
As has been said above. To be able to get sober you will need to change your routine, mind and life.
It will be very hard if you continue doing the same things and expect change. It very rarely happens.
Friday night is just another night. So it’s the end of the work week and tradition says it’s drink night.
Change that tradition.
Do something else like go to the gym.
As @Natnat says " people, places and things " need to change for you to ever have any chance.
Have you thought of any formal program? AA SMART, and many other recovery groups are out there.
These will give you the knowledge and sober people that you need to help build a solid foundation to your sobriety.
But, ultimately the hard work has to come from you.
You have to say no to yourself.

4 Likes

When I first started to get sober I honestly had to cut ties with all my friends and slowly add back in the ones who were willing to hangout with me without drinking. I realized I cut 15 friends and only 1 is still around. That’s right out of 15 people I thought were my friends only ONE is willing to hang out with me these days. She still drinks which is fine with me because she doesn’t do it when we hang out. When we are together we do things like bake delicious cakes and binge watch TV shows or sappy movies, go to lunch at our favorite places instead of going there during dinner time because that’s when we used to go and have dinner and drinks. We get breakfast and go shopping. Get ice cream and just sit at the beach and talk for hours. Or our favorite is go to thrift shops and try on the most outrageous outfits we can find and take pictures with each other.
Those are the fun sober things we do now a days and it’s amazing. I didn’t know if I would have any friends come back after just cutting ties with them all for myself. I’ve gotten a lot of hate for it and honestly that’s ok with me. The one who came back told me she gets it. She knew I needed to distance myself from everyone in order to better myself and that’s exactly what I did. We went a year and a half without talking at all then one day she messaged and said she missed me and you would never know we went that long honestly.

My point is if they are true friends they would understand you are trying to better yourself. Part of me wishes I would have just talked to her instead of just shutting her out but at the time I did what I thought was best for me and it worked out

1 Like

I’m a with @anon12657779 on this.

Getting sober requires you to change only one thing… Everything.

I remember when they first said that to me I couldn’t begin to understand what it implies.
Well I do now. I had to cutt cords with certain people I deemed important I had to let go of so much behavior I found normal. And I cannot drink chocolate milk I HATE MY ADDICTION :wink:

For me changing routines means I spent my saterday evening at a 1.5 hour NA Meeting 90% off my saterdays I only skip when I have my son over for an extra night or there are family Obligations.

Get a grasp of the feedback you get here and work towards surrender of the illness you carry.
It is not group pressure… It is your addict mind using that as leverage.

Gooduck on your search of sobriety.

2 Likes

It’s like seeing a sign warning you of a bunch of unexploded ordnance in a field, and you walk out there anyways.

That’s the insanity of it.

Lots of great advice given here already. I got sober, and have stayed sober for 23+ months but simply changing everything, doing pretty much everything these fine folks above have laid out for your consumption already.

Keep trying, there’s so much failure when we first try, just keep trying more and more until you find what works.

2 Likes