Friends birthday party in a pub 27 june

I Write this 137 hours sober and my bestest friend has invited me to a pub lunch for her birthday now lucky for me I have to drive I have no choice im interested to see how I feel on this day I’ll definitely keep you all posted

1 Like

You have no choice but to drive, or no choice but to go?

If it’s the latter, you absolutely do have a choice. In my opinion, it’s extremely risky to sit yourself in a pub this early. It’s your call, only you know, but it seems like potential for disaster if you ask me.

Be honest with yourself. If there is even a hint of doubt that you can avoid the drink while there, then don’t go – “Where there is doubt, there is no doubt”. Simply not worth it. You’ve got to protect your sobriety, that has to be #1, especially for now. If she is a true friend, she will understand if you need to skip out.

2 Likes

I would never let a drop of alcohol touch my lips whilst I’m in a car if I hat anything omg I’d never forgive myself so definitely not gonna drink just interesting how I’m going to feel uselly Mrs drives so I can drink but as I’ll be on my own I have to do the driving

1 Like

I had a gathering in a pub with a bunch of friends that had been organised a while back. I was on my fourth day sober.
I was scared but determined to be good. My guards were up and I had a plan, to order iced tea. I had my excuse ready (taking antibiotics) in case I was challenged by any of my friends.
I went and stuck to the plan. I didn’t drink.

I felt super proud of myself. It was weird though, I also felt sad… like seeing an ex boyfriend with a new partner.

aww yes i could get a lift so driving is my plan and well done you i will do this to prove to my self i can be a strong person a pub is no different then walking past the booze in a supermarket its always in your face so few hours wanting it and not having it will be a goal for me and a kick in the teeth for my demons

1 Like

I said that-

But towards the end of my drinking there was no choice when I ran out-

I had to drive to the shop to buy more beer

3 Likes

I know for me I had to cancel some plans in early sobriety and I was okay with that once I really got how much I needed to prioritize my sobriety. I missed a lot of parties and such, but it was way more important to stay sober and feel positive.

Be sure you drink lots of water or soda and eat while there. Take a walk if you feel antsy. And remember you can leave early if you have to. And especially remember, not going at all IS an option if you so choose.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Why would you "test" your sobriety?:

Don’t play the odds because it’s not worth it if you lose

3 Likes

Does your bestest friend know that you are trying to get sober? It seems like a not very nice thing to do to invite you out to a pub. I’m not saying that she needs to change her life to accommodate you but I would have had my pub lunch with other friends and made special sober plans with you.

You are not obligated to go at all. It’s not rude to decline. There’s no reason to test your sobriety.

Just sayin’

5 Likes

Totally agree.

@Ryand if you don’t feel up to it then it’s absolutely fine to rearrange. I’m sure your bestie would be totally up for having an extra celebration with you!

If you do feel like it then great. Driving is definitely helpful. I found having a plan for what I would drink helpful the first few times I went to sober parties. I was also prepared to leave early. The first time I did it was so weird… I was always last one standing. People were a bit like oh no, but their party carried on just fine without me. I was happy to leave with a head full of nice memories and no hangover in the morning!

1 Like

Yeah just a caution, I’m pretty sure all of us said wed never drink and drive to begin with but addiction is insidious, one day you look back and realize all the lines you said youd never cross are behind you. There is no such thing as never in regards to alcoholism, it just isnt in the vocabulary. In the end it’s your call but I wouldnt advise it this early on dude.

5 Likes