Getting divorced

26 Days sober here. Wife left me april 30th. Has already started the divorce filing. First couple weeks of staying sober felt fine and I felt as if I had accepted that my drinking caused this and knew it would be better for both of us mentally and physically, but I feel like it’s setting in more and now I’m just massively depressed. I don’t want to drink and I’ve reached out to my sponsor and other members in my support group but I keep thinking about how I want to escape these feelings. I just hate this. My marriage failed after less than 2 years because I always put drinking over her. Idk I’m just ranting.

10 Likes

Push through…this will all work out.

1 Like

There are divorces all over in this world, but while drinking, there’s this feeling of guilt. I don’t know anything of your marriage, but now you’re sober. Now you are doing it.
All things have their own time and place. Maybe it should be like it is.

If you separate without having a drinking problem, you are lost, sad, depressed too.

It is taking a while, this time of grief and sadness ist necessary in my opinion.

Say goodbye to her. Write a letter and burn it. Be sad, cry and depressed.

After a while it will getting better, I promise. It is so important to feel all this feelings, to go thru sober.

And slowly you can move on to a different life.

4 Likes

Thank you.

I should definitely write a letter haven’t thought of that. I’m just trying to process this all one day at a time. Thank you so much it helped a bit.

1 Like

I’ve done the letter exercise and it was very helpful.

2 Likes

You’re going to have to sit with those feelings anyway, Josh, you’re going to be ok. It is hard. And no one knows what the future looks like, keep your chin up and onward you go!

4 Likes

Thank you! Definitely doing my best to keep that mindset

3 Likes

Wow that was extremely helpful! Love your motto. I’ll definitely be using it! Thank you very much.

3 Likes