Getting help

I have realised that I will need help quitting drinking. I am going to my doctors today and calling a therapist. I think the death of both of my parents is where I started to bunge drink and fall apart. I know I am better than what I have become and today I want to take my life back. I am scared but determined.

10 Likes

Good for you. It’s sounds like a really solid plan and you are being very proactive. Give yourself some love as you are doing the right thing. Very inspiring to read. Thanks for sharing. I lost my father at age 11 and my brother at age 18: both to tragic accidents. My drinking became really bad after my brother died and ebbed and flowed for the next + 20yrs. It’s really difficult, but my sobriety has been the best thing so far. Take care

3 Likes

I am here for you if you need someone to talk to. I get it. We are behind you. Got your six

1 Like

Both sound like great ideas! I suggest reading as much on here as possible…It really helped my perspective and kept me busy.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I went to my doctor and made an appointment with a chemical dependency therapist. They gave me antibuse for now and want me to check in weekly until my therapist appointment. I am done feeling this shitty. I don’t deserve it and neither do my husband and kids.

3 Likes

I’ve only been sober a couple of weeks but have been reading and researching a lot. I’ve read recovery by Russel brand and this naked mind by Annie Grace. Both have given me a new perspective on my relationship with drink. I have also signed up to use some training materials and literature from SMART Recovery which views addiction from a different angle to the more traditional approach. So far I’m enjoying learning about the why, how and who of my relationship with drink.

I wish you well and this for is great for open conversations and ligh hearted chat

2 Likes

Look into naltrexone also. It stops cravings. I have been on it for about 3 weeks and it’s working.

1 Like

Well done you! It takes great strength to admit you have a problem :two_hearts: I too got stuck drinking after lots of bereavement. We drink to numb the pain but eventually we’re stuck. I’m sending you lots of positive vibes… be kind to yourself, you can do this! I’m 59 days today and it does get easier :pray:t2::two_hearts:xx

1 Like

They said they want me to be sober for at least 2 weeks before they give it to me. Not sure why…but after the antibuse that will be next.

Just take it one day at a time, one hour at a time… at first it is hard but treat yourself with love and compassion. You can beat this addiction…wishing you luck. Keep coming in here, read and post. The folks on here are amazing, it’s a real family, welcome :pray:t2: xxx

3 Likes