Ghost hangover

It’s day 26 today, nearly a month of sobriety and I feel like I got hit with a sledgehammer. The nausea and pounding headache feel just like I did when I was still drinking heavily, but I haven’t had a drop of alcohol in weeks.

I’ve read about others experiencing this in the past, this is my first time with it. :confused: Suckyyyy

13 Likes

Have you been drinking lots of water? Could be stress, could be a bug, could be dehydration. A good reminder of how crappy booze made you feel I bet. Hope you feel better soon.

8 Likes

Plenty yes, I carry around a water bottle everywhere I go now and drink around 3 of them daily, around 80-100 ish oz a day so doubt dehydration is the issue

Definitely a good reminder, I do remember waking up daily with a slight headache every single morning with the head fog and all, I don’t miss it.

Thanks Dan

4 Likes

It’s still very early in your recovery and entirely plausible that your body is still adjusting. Do be gentle with yourself. Have you been able to incorporate an exercise routine into your recovery yet?

4 Likes

I have heard that. But it sure feels better when you realize you didn’t drink.

3 Likes

Does exercise really help feeling better all the way around?

1 Like

I am on day 24 and feel absolutely crap!! Head achey, tired, grumpy. Whole bag of mixed emotions. I didnt sleep too well last night so that has contibuted to my current state. I do find regular exercise helps - a mix of gym, swim and yoga.
Hope you wake up feeling better tomorrow
X

3 Likes

I need to exercise more

It can be beneficial for stress mood and anxiety

Water all the way also

4 Likes

Hang in there. I had ghost hangovers every morning for several weeks when I stopped drinking. It was so strange and really terrible but it eventually went away :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, most definitely. It has so many detoxifying benefits other than physical fitness and is nature’s anti-depressant. You just have to find what works for you and think less about the outcome. I like low impact exercise for example. Yoga, swimming, hot tubs, etc.

1 Like

Yeah it was awful, felt like death lol

Better today thankfully

1 Like

This happens to me pretty often, off and on, within the first few weeks of quitting. I’ve even posted (I don’t think here, I don’t recall) about it asking if it’s normal. I wake up groggy, foggy, anxious and nauseous and stumbling. I figure it’s poor sleep as a side effect of maybe more milder longer term withdrawal symptoms. I still regularly have incredibly vivid upsetting dreams, so maybe it’s my body reacting to poor sleep. I don’t take anything to help me sleep.

Cleaner eating and exercise does help me after a while, I wake up with energy and ready to go. But there are still mornings like that sometimes. I find it goes away after I sit up for a bit and have some coffee.

I definitely went through a terrible period of that. But it has passed now. For a while I thought it was something in the alcohol free beer, but with hindsight I think it was some kind of withdrawal. Just ride it out, stay hydrated, and keep up the good work.

Good I’m glad to hear that!

I am a year and a half into my sobriety journey and very rarely do I have drinking dreams. But when I do, I wake up a mess until I figure out it was just a dream. They do cause high stress for a short while but it helps remind me of why I don’t drink and that I appreciate.

1 Like