Going home soon

I recently (6 days) decided that I needed to get sober. I’m currently working at a friend’s farm, and even though he still drinks, he has been understanding and helpful in my decision. In 2 weeks I will be going home and I want to be prepared. I have a lot of friends that I want to see, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to withstand social pressure. How do I explain what I’m going through?

I stayed away from social situations where drinking would be. Concentrate on you. Find a program like AA or smart.

1 Like

2 Likes

No one really cares if you drink or not. The only reason they may push you is to have someone to drink with. Apart from odd comments about what you missing and how you can’t have fun sober they really really dont give a damn if you drink or not.

Hi, I have been in rehab since the 6th November and I am going home on the 4th. I planning on giving my job up for a while or changing jobs completely to something less stressful. I have lots of literature to read and I have located some A.A. meetings. I also have lots of phone numbers from people in here with me.Im going to be honest about my addiction to people who know me, everybody else doesn’t need an explanation. I know I have to live one day at a time but Does any one have any tips for the real world? :slight_smile:

In addition to what’s already been said, I’d also add that you can create your own social times. You mentioned you wanted to see some of your friends. You can maybe arrange coffee, dinner, phone calls, etc. to catch up with these people in an alcohol-free environment that you can predict or even outright control. Especially for friends you see as potential supports rather than ones you suspect might pressure you to drink or otherwise not understand you and your decision.

1 Like