Going on day 5

I seriously tried to convince myself in ever way possible that I would reward myself this weekend with a drink for not drinking all week. Why does my brain do this! I feel amazing why would I want to ruin that? Crazy how much of a hold alcohol has on you.
I’m not going to give in! Have to distract myself and stay busy and hold myself accountable. I got this

18 Likes

100% you got this! If your Struggling with alcohol,look up easy peazy guide to quitting alcohol. You will find it extremely helpful in your journey! You will have your highs and lows getting through this but fight negativity… its so counterproductive. Keep it positive no matter what!

2 Likes

I will definitely look that up :blush: thank you!

Unfortunately because we, those of us who misuse alcohol, have hard wired our brains to think that way. Thought patterns, neurotransmitters, your brain could care less if something is bad for you, if it’s literally KILLING you, as long as it feels good, safe, familiar things.
Realizing this helped me a bunch because you can retrain your brain. Is it uncomfortable? Yeah, it is uncomfortable, real uncomfortable. … But as they say, learn to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Is it worth it? 1000 percent yes! I am more than a year without alcohol and everyday cannot express enough gratitude that I quit when I did.
One day at a time :purple_heart:

7 Likes

It is SO backwards, but I have thought that too. Looking forward to ur week check-in.

2 Likes

Congratulations on 5 days :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Thank you :blush: all these kind words help

1 Like

You got this! Don’t think of them as weekends, and certainly not as a reward. I love your statement about being present for your boys. I felt the same. In fact, it would shame me the following day for years — to think that their protector was drunk on the clock for decades. It pains me to think of the memories I left behind because I was drunk. Weekends are for being sober, being present and making memories!

5 Likes

:100: being present is so important. I feel so much more confident I can handle staying sober over the weekend after reading all of the supportive comments! This community rocks :blush:

3 Likes

Congratulations on your 522 days that is amazing!!!

2 Likes

Same boat!!

1 Like

Nice! That’s what I want to hear! Expect to hear from all of us on Monday!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I’ve been there, many, many times. When i finally stopped this time my perception of alcohol had shifted. I no longer view alcohol as a good thing or a reward or something that I’m missing out on. I thank 2 books for shifting my perception. Allen Carrs “easy was to control alcohol” and Annie Grace “this naked mind”. I do warn :warning: about the first book though as it may be a trigger for some people. Congratulations on 5 days, 5 days is HUGE… stick with us ODAAT.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I read Naked mind the last time I tried to stop and that what made me go a month sober. I will definitely read the first book. Thank you :blush:

2 Likes

Very well said.

1 Like