Going to AA just for support?

Yes I’m giving AA a shot, went to a good mtg last night… Going to keep going.

1 Like

Yes! You got it! It’s hard to explain but you did a wonderful job covering the nuts and bolts of the program. You’ll continue to have more light bulb moments as you continue to study, reflect, and dig deeper. Honesty Open-mindedness Willingness

1 Like

Thank you, you’re an inspiration for me. :heart:

1 Like

Love your post @Daithi…sounds like you are working hard on your recovery. Wise words for many of us.

It can’t hurt to go to a meeting and try it out!

I could have wrote this post myself ! Wow

1 Like

Then i hope you read the whole thread since it’s full of great stuff. The big book says the steps are “suggested as a program of recovery” and nobody can make you do anything you don’t want to do. That said, it’s good to know something about what’s being objected to before objecting to it. What’s to lose? And happy sober holidays!

Hi Janet, Merry Christmas.
I’ve not been to a fellowship meeting for a least a year, prior to that I was in the fellowship for 4 years with varying results. I’ve been going to the odd SMART meeting when work permits.
I’m in the UK so AA/NA are the only source of recovery groups available at the evening time so my options to meet like minded people are limited. I’m not a big fan of the language used in the fellowship which I may have to look past. Not sure as yet.

Take what you need and leave the rest, as they say!

I too went in to AA and didnt agree with some of the things they were saying. But hey, i didnt have anything to lose by being there. I also had to have an open mind. And the longer i have gone, the more my thinking has changed… But what i believe and what you believe doesnt have to be the same either. I can take the tools that work for me and leave the rest. I would suggest to get a sponsor and talk with them about how you are feeling… i would also suggest take another look into the powerless thing. I use to think i wasnt powerless either and that lead me to many relapses. But i can just speak for myself. AA is saving my life one day at a time. Thanks for the topic.

3 Likes

I’m not saying AA is the only way but if readers really want long-term sobriety they will notice that most people who have achieved this and not relapsing regularly are those who work a program or some kind of recovery such as AA @Just4Today, @Chad_R, @Steve92, @Gabe.G and @DrunkNoMore are excellent examples of this. There are of course exceptions to the rule and some people manage their own recovery program through their own methods or faith and this is all great, @anon53189373 is a great example of this.

Its not the only way, but if you embrace it rather than focus on the parts you don’t like (there are likely parts all of us don’t like) you are much more likely to progress.

4 Likes

That’s why I mentioned you with regard to faith.

1 Like

Thanks for the shout-out. And I agree. It is easy to quit drinking. Staying quit is much harder. Life long sobriety requires work.

I’m going to give the fellowship another go, I know which meetings to attend and which to avoid.
I need face to face support to use alongside the other methods for staying clean/sober I use.
I guess at this stage I have nothing to lose by giving it another go.

@C-sun is another great example.

Personally, I was hopeless, I’d get sober for short periods, but as @DrunkNoMore said, it was staying sober which was the hardest part.

2 Likes

Sorry Just highlighting members who have used AA as an example of achieving longer term sobriety for @Chris25.

Glad to see he is giving it another try.

1 Like

I must admit, the honesty in the rooms is hard to come by in any other recovery setting.

I think taking what I need and leaving the rest is the way forward.

Absolutely, there are some things discussed and people I am not a huge fan of at meetings, but I am polite to them and leave it at that, I have also been surprised by the connections I have made with some of the people I thought I didn’t like over time.

Haha. They also say that if you like everyone in the rooms, then you haven’t gone to enough meetings😜

2 Likes