Got any advice?

Does anybody have any tips on how beat cravings, besides going to AA. So far my biggest stretch has been 2 weeks, but it’s usually not even that long before I relapse again. I feel like everywhere I go at home and outside im surrounded by temptations, even when there isn’t a drink in sight. And I can’t shut it off, and I don’t know what to do to end it for good.

2 Likes

Keeping busy helped me when I first started. I volunteered for AA activities. I also spent lots of time at the gym.

4 Likes

Like you say, at first, when we are first denying ourselves something that we have become so used to having , it can be hell.
I found distracting myself with books, films, this app, AA, all helped me to get through the he urges to drink.
You will find that the more you can do it, the stronger you will get.
Reach out on here. There are several others who are at the same stage as you so you won’t be alone in your feelings. Plus there is a lot of people who can talk you through.
But the main strength has to come from you.
And it is hard to say no to yourself.
Keep going my friend. It does get better.

3 Likes

What @Frank68 said are the most common answers. I would also include, find something non alcoholic you can drink to take its place. It’s silly, but it worked for me.

In my opinion, you have to do more than just decide to stop, more than just not drink. You have to create a dialog within yourself that’s more convincing than the cravings.
You have hate alcohol. Treat it like your enemy. Treat it like a friend who betrayed you in the worst conceivable way. Treat it like the worst scam that’s ever been pulled on you; cuz that’s what it is.
Alcohol is a giant fucking lie, repeated for so long, so frequently, that our infants think is a lullaby.
It’s not. It’s someone else profiting from your voluntary brain damage.
Your cravings are just their hooks in your cheek.

7 Likes

Hi Lenny. I highly recommend you read the book, “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace. It will help you understand those cravings and how to completely change your way of thinking. It seriously changed my life. But early in sobriety, it can be a struggle so you need an ally to help you through it. That can be a (sober) friend, an AA meeting or podcasts and websites like this. Immerse yourself in sobriety. Tell everyone you know, “I don’t drink anymore”. It helps build accountability. And check in here often. You can do this and I promise, life is so much better without alcohol.

5 Likes

You pretty much explained exactly what I am going through right now too as i head into day 4. You definitely are not alone! Stay strong :muscle:the main thing working for me right now is eating good food when i am really craving bad… it seems to shut it down in my brain.

2 Likes

Thank you Geo, that means a lot to me.

I’ve never thought of it that way, but that’s very insightful. Thank you Mr. Cade

1 Like

Thank all of you for the advice, I’ll try to check in more often. Good luck to all of you, and thanks for the support!

1 Like

It’s just my take.
No one can tell you what will work.
We can only tell you what has worked

1 Like

I understand, thanks

How are you doing tonight?

In the beginning I had to stay busy and ate a lot of sugar. Frozen kit Kats and ice cream helped my cravings for alcohol. I stayed away from wet places and wet faces as they say. No parties, bars or where people were drinking at least in the very beginning. Meetings helped me learn how to live a better life but that is up to you. Right now just focus on not picking up that first one. There is a lot of stories of strength and hope on here to help you through as well. Hang in there.

4 Likes

Nature abhors a vacuum. It’s really hard to just take alcohol out of your life and keep everything else the same. The void created asks to be filled.

Instead, think about what you might do to fill the gap, but from a new perspective. Need to relax? Tea, books, yoga, your favourite show. Bored? A hobby, workout, chores, something you’ve been putting off. Lonely? Find an activity, class, meeting, or event in the community, go walking in public and just be in the vicinity of strangers, call up a friend or family member. Really anxious/stressed/emotional? Learn about the many coping mechanisms that exist for it.

The more you associate your drinking prompts with new actions, the more natural it will feel, and the less alcohol will pull you. Instead of a prompt (fed up with people, for example) meaning “time to drink”, you give it a new definition, “time to go for a run/walk”. It works best if you actually do something new, not just refuse the alcohol and do nothing.

This takes time, and it will still be hard at times to keep your commitment to yourself before it gets easier. While you’re waiting, distractions help a lot, as does being patient with yourself, and taking care of both mind and body. Distractions press “pause” on the cravings, and taking care of your mind and body makes it easier for them to take on this “overtime” work you’ve got them doing.

Early sobriety sugar cravings are real, too. So many of us go nuts on chocolate, ice cream, everything, and sometimes it helps get through early cravings. At the beginning, really just do whatever it takes not to pick up a drink.

6 Likes

This is what helped me:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day and check in sober.

I’m not in AA or other sort of program. But I stick to this plan above wich I made for myself. It works for me, I’m allmost 1 year sober.
I wish you the same!
Go get it!! :facepunch:

3 Likes

I know it might sound a bit crazy but it does curb my cravings a little. I get a pint of ice fill it up with something fizzy I drink sugar free orange fizzy. Let it rest for a few mins then start to drink that it’s so ice cold and refreshing I find it does help and takes a while to drink to let the cravings pass.

3 Likes

Here is a list that could keep you busy or at least give you lots of ideas!

(Things I do instead of using)

Reading on here is a good mind occupier, as well as walking.

4 Likes

Here is another list on TS that can be helpful: Daily tip for the struggling newbie

3 Likes

Yes, very much this as well. Playing the tape through to see what’s really in store if you give in to the craving.

4 Likes

I’m doing good tonight Mr. Cade. 1 day sober and feeling the cravings but also feeling strong enough to beat them. At least thus far, thanks for checking in, I appreciate it.

3 Likes