Got drunk last night

So, I’m battling alcohol for the time being of probation. I’ll be off probation next summer… I’m thinking a lot… If I can stop once I’m buzzed instead of getting drunk does that mean I could leave the alcohol alone for a while then come back to it once I’m off probation or is it still considered an addiction?

I blacked out last night and I know that’s absolutely no good… I haven’t always drank out of angry feelings… I use to be able to drink a couple and be good for celebratory reasons…birthdays, etc.

Do I abstain from alcohol forever or just for the time being? Maybe I’m in denial…

Hey there, i know that for me: I tried bargaining and moderating and giving myself limits and time constraints and all sorts of boundaries so that I could “drink normally”…but that fact in itself is what made me a not normal drinker. If I had to do stuff to try and drink normally, it’s because I was not a normal drinker in the first place. My life got a whole lot simpler when I just finally took alcohol OUT of the picture. Hope this helps in some way today :heart:

9 Likes

Li, what would your son say about your drinking?

1 Like

Thank you, it does help. I feel like maybe sometime to reflect with myself and my situation first is what I need to do

… I guess I want to find peace with myself first and once I’m in a better place maybe I’ll figure out the answer to my question later on…

He’ll be six next week… I haven’t seen him since like 8 months ago… So I’m not completely sure. That’s why I feel for the time being I just leave drinking alone and better myself…then answer my own question next year around this time about drinking…

1 Like

This may be controversial for me to say (especially as someone with a bad relationship with alcohol), but it is possible to people to have a stable relationship with alcohol. However, you have to be honest with yourself about whether or not that is you or could ever be you. When I drink, I do not stop until the room is spinning. Could I make the choice to stop after a drink or two? Yes. Unfortunately, if I do stop, I obsess over having more, and end up not enjoying that 1 or 2 drinks.

Be honest with yourself.

2 Likes

What a great way to put it!

Could I just add that there absolutely are places out there for people who want to try the moderation thing. Club Soda is one I’m aware of in the UK at least.

But this forum is not that place, we do sobriety here :pray::grin::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I’ll second @siand on this.
It’s exactly how I feel. Freedom!

5 Likes

From your posts here absolutely sounds like you need to stop, period. You need to understand that fully and make that commitment, understand your life will actually be better without alcohol. You are not giving up anything, you are not losing out.

Look at the bigger picture, life is so much more than alcohol, yet we put it on a pedestal and make it seem so important and pivotal to everything we do, it really isn’t.

Any positive things you believe alcohol does for you, are likely misguided, or in respect to confidence this can be worked on, and you can actually have real confidence that doesnt come from a bottle.

1 Like

I’ve never been on probation, but I’m gonna say that being on probation and being and addict might be related, as in both are symptoms of poor impulse control.

I’m no prophet or soothsayer, but I predict a return to drinking after probation will likely lead to another stint of probation.

You are currently on probation. What would happen if you have an alcohol related incident while on probation? Maybe go to jail?

If I may be so bold, I would suggest you focus less on that day when your probation may end, and focus on staying sober today. Do whatever it takes to not drink. Then do it again tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that. See where you are when the probation ends. Hopefully in a better place, lifestyle-wise, mentally, physically, spiritually, financially, etc. You get here one step, one good decision, one day at a time.

3 Likes

I’m clean off meth 24 days… That’s why I came on the forum in the first place…

3 Likes

Do the conditions of your probation include no alcohol? are you subject to random and/or scheduled testing?

1 Like

Yes, no alcohol and random testing… @sprinkles

Thank you @Yoda-Stevie your advice is very helpful. It helped me see this for what it is… I hope l will be in a better place too. One day at a time… This too shall pass…

1 Like

I think that’s where I’m confused with the alcohol idea…why and when is did I use to drink and just giving it up for the time being so it’s more social than for the buzz or numbing… I don’t want to rely on alcohol like that…

I think not drinking would remove some stress at worrying about testing positive, and also not having to do the math to figure out how much and when to drink to avoid a positive test.
From personal experience anyhoo.

Thank you! This is true… I think over time I’ll be able to understand if it’s more of an urge for me to drink or just a social kind of thing for every now and then… Time will tell… But for now, I’ll focus on probation and becoming more and more aware of triggers, etc…

My doc is meth… 24 days clean so I’m really proud of that…

2 Likes

I shared with my p.o that I was drinking still…she knows I am still drinking and that I’m still trying to figure out my issues… She’s working with me as long as I’m honest…

2 Likes

You should be!!

2 Likes

Amazing! That’s great :sparkling_heart: