Got Surrender?

Hey all! For those following my thread, you know that I’m working on surrender right now.

I’m curious as to how you all look and live with surrender (if you’re 12 steps I’m assuming).

Looking forward to hearing from everyone

1 Like

have you started the steps yet got a sponsor,

@Ray_M_C_Laren is correct, I hope you have a sponsor to help walk you through the steps. With that being said.
Surrender for me. Is my actions and words became one. I could talk a good game all day, but it’s when my actions met the words. As in I’m done.
I threw my hands up and said I’m done fighting. I was in a no win battle and lost everytime! Lately I’ve lost so many friends to this disease that it scares the hell out of me to go back out even. I dont want to die today as I once did, out there in active addiction. So surrendering for was no longer wanting to die and doing something about it, to get back to wanting to live. It took me many relapses to finally figure out that I could not use successfully! Relapse does not have to be a part of your story, but it’s a part of mine.
Everyday I wake up and make the conscience decision that I will stay sober today. It’s a daily thing for me, one day at a time.
I also do things in order to stay sober. I not only admitted I was addict and alcoholic, I accepted it! Acceptance is the answer! Getting honest is the start!
I got to AA meetings. Have a sponsor. Sponsor others. I do step work. I have a support group. I plan ahead for occasions that involve alcohol.
This has gotten me 690 days today. If I can do it, so can you!

7 Likes

Yep working on my step 1 right now and yes I have a sponsor although having one is still very new to me.

Thats good . what i do when i sponsor is read through how it works with my guy and by the time we have discussed it and said the 3rd step prayer together we were at step 4 the first three are admitting,believing,and making a decision ,but if you have a big book read chapter 5 p58 hope this helps wish you well

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate your insights about your own journey towards surrender. From what I’m gathering, it is doing whatever it takes to stay sober and doing it everyday, almost making it a lifestyle.

2 Likes

I’ll look into getting the big book and reading through it.

Yeah I just got him so we haven’t really talked about meeting up, talking on the phone or things like that. We just meet once a week during our meeting so I think I’ll reach out to him

Surrender:
I can’t.
He can.
I will let him.

1 Like

Whats up! Good on you for reaching out keep that desire fueled!

For me surrender means to surrender pushing back against the truth that is ‘alcohol takes complete control when i drink, I am indeed powerless over alcohol’.

Now living with that has been such a weight off my shoulders personally. such a relief to end the drawn out battle of what my relationship with alcohol is and will be. It is what it is–im an alcoholic and when i drink im gonna be edgy af if i don’t keep drinking. Being able to take that first step in acknowledgement followed by the acceptance that you can’t cure your alcoholism has been a huge relief. But that’s just the beginning, this perspective allows you to get to work and reclaim your life.

Every road is different, this is my personal experience. Sober 165 days.

Matt

@KeepMovingForward thanks for sharing. It sounds like accepting the fact that it’s something that cannot be “controlled” and accepting that is a way to surrender ones ability to control it. So rather than spending all that energy controlling it, more energy goes towards living the sober life, whatever that may entail.

Thanks again.

Exactly. Also I just finished a book on habits called ‘the power of habit’. If you don’t change your daily routines, then your day is going to be jam packed with triggers. When i was going through this time i needed to change my routine and do something new. For me i started doing all the things I have always loved to do but had been unable to while drinking. Like golf, driving Uber, doing anything after 7pm… It made all the subtle benefits of sobriety much more apparent. You got this!

Matt

1 Like

@KeepMovingForward definitely! I know that overdue work really drains me and prevents me from doing all of those things that I’ve wanted to do.

I’ve got that book as an audible so will check it out! Thanks Matt