Gratitude beyond measure

I felt I needed to share this because I am truly speechless right now. In September of 2018 my fiancee suffered a massive stroke at the age of 43. For a week
we weren’t certain if she would live or die. We were both drinking very heavily and after the stroke my drinking took off in epic proportions. It was decided by her parents, who now have legal guardianship of her, that I would no longer be allowed to see her or contact her. It broke my heart and I blamed absolutely everyone including God, for this happening. My drinking continued to get much worse and I never spoke to her again. The stroke has left her unable to speak or write. Her cognitive skills were greatly damaged but as she recovered in the hospital I KNEW that Erin was still there. I could see it in her eyes and certainly in the way she looked at me. On January 7th of this year I surrendered to alcohol and have stopped trying to run the show. On Wednesday I will have 90 days. This afternoon out of nowhere I recieved a message on FB and it was her. She still cant write but has been communicating through emojis and I know it’s her. After all this time less than 90 days after get sober this happens. The one thing I have prayed for has happened. I am at a loss for words for how I feel about this. All I can say is I thank God for my sobriety. I am able to accept this blessing and for once in my life not pervert it with my own will on how things should play out. I will just trust that everything happens for a reason and for the first time I’m capable of experiencing this the way I’m supposed to. I love all of you and we all deserve to be happy in this life.

26 Likes

Hi Jon, wow. This sounds like an experience that would elevate you and feel like the pieces of your life are coming together before your eyes. I can imagine how holy and humbling and wonderful this feels for you. Thanks for sharing this special moment with us.

3 Likes

After two 1/2 years I just heard her say I love you. I am at a complete loss for words

8 Likes

I love your story! I am teared up right now friend. I hope y’all can reconnect.

3 Likes

This is truly something I never thought would happen. I’m blown away

2 Likes

I’m happy for you bro.

1 Like

Wow! Thank you for sharing this with us. I sure hope there comes a time you can connect with her again in real life. She obviously still loves you.

1 Like

This is so wonderful, what a wonderful blessing :hugs:

1 Like

That is such an amazing story! Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Sobriety just keeps giving. I feel blessed

2 Likes

Wow. What a wonderful story. Loved to read it. You deserve it so much. I’m very happy for you and congratulations on 90 days :heart_eyes:

1 Like

90 DAYS TODAY!!! Life just keeps getting better

5 Likes

Congratulations Jon. I’m super happy for you. I know you’ve been fighting a good fight.
That’s great to read.

2 Likes

Happy 3 months Birthday so :grinning::birthday:

Amazing story. God bless.

1 Like

Don’t understand all of this. At first I was so happy to hear from her. Now I’m feeling all the pain and loss that I felt after her stroke. I believe this is in the plan of life but I truly wasn’t ready for it. This just hurts.