Grumpy A-holes (quitting cigarettes/ nicotine products)

Im on day 19 without even a drag from a ciggarette.

I have been talking about quitting since i started again around 10 years ago.

I quit for 14 years and let a very stressful situation get the best of me. I had a cigarette, and started this nasty habit back up.

I have tried to quit several times, but failed.

I smoked between one and two packs a day. A pack and a half average.

When i was in Kauai i got really inspired to quit. So when i got home, i had committed to myself that I would.

I tried to make a pack last several days and taper down to quit. I found that hard and annoying. When id get a craving. I knew i had them and it seemed to intensify the craving.

Ive tried that method a few times. Same results. If I’d think about quitting. I’d get a really strong craving.

So i ran out of cigarettes and didnt go get more. It was early in the day.

Id get a craving, but i was out and the weather was horrible so didnt get anymore. I noticed that i made it through the cravings alot easier without having any around for easy access.

I made it to bed and slept so i had 3/4 of a day behind me.

Morning coffee… pure hell! I rolled a cigg out of butts. I tried to conserve that cigg for the whole day hust taking a drag or two every few hours. I ended up smoking two skinny ciggs that day.

The next day was similar. I ran out of tobacco. There wasnt a trace of usable tobacco. I looked. Several times!:rofl:

I caved and bought a pack. I intended to make that pack last, and hopefully not finish it.

The next day i practically chainsmoked that pack. I decided that cold turkey was how it was going to have to be done.

I used a cbd vape pen to get through really intense cravings. Two drag limit.

Nicotene withdrawel was absolutely miserable for four or five days.

The cbd pen was enough to keep me from killing myself or anyone else. It wasnt satisfying because there was no nicotene. It helped to feel something in my lungs to ease to torture of nicotene withdrawel.

I havent used the pen since monday. 100% smoke free is the goal!

Its still hard. I came close to buying a pack last night. I went to the grocery store and it was really hard to not get a pack, or look in the ashtrays for one. I saw a friend who smokes as i was leaving. I wanted to ask for one.

Im at the stage now where starting over sounds like a torture i dont want to go through. Its easier to keep smoking, so im going to hopefully not give in and be able to get past all these cravings when i have to spend more time outside the safety of my home.

Glad this thread got started!

20 Likes

It is a book yes.
You are supposed to smoke as you read it. Comes in audio as well.

2 Likes

Welcome. I’m sure it won’t be easy. Quitting never is. Let’s hope we can support each other the best we can :muscle:

4 Likes

That’s awesome you’re quitting. Better save all of your bitching and moaning for this thread. We all need to share in the misery! Lol

I know the only way I’m going to be able to quit is cold turkey. I lack the self control to taper. if I have any chew and I want to chew I know I will. so come as the clock counts down to midnight on the 31st I’m flushing whatever I have left. My own bitching and moaning will be guaranteed. But I’m going to do this!

Better for all of us in the end though. Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

1554 Days free from nicotine here. My journey to become sober and clean started with becoming smober. Allen Carr helped. Joining a website similar to this one helped a lot. Unfortunately that website will stop existing in a week time. For me it wasn’t that crazy hard. Did it cold turkey. The first weeks it felt like having the flu. The right mindset, the right support system and the right knowledge made it happen and made it last. Stick together and as with any addiction the magic can and will happen if you put in the work! Success all!

18 Likes

That a boy!

1 Like

I started to calculate how much money I’ve wasted this year on cigarettes and I couldn’t believe the sum was right. It’s surreal, and I’m a single mom def not diving in gold coins…

7 Likes

Thanks for encouraging Menno! Success stories are nice to hear at this point :pray:

1 Like

Thanks for setting this up @Fireweed I’m allllllll in!

2 Likes

Yasss! The more the merrier (or grumpier?). Welcome :blush:

2 Likes

I’m getting more and more nervous about this quitting… but at the same time imagining how relieving it will be not to be dependent on stupid smoking, being sure there are always enough cigarettes, having to go smoke outside regardless of the weather, giving my girls excuses on why I’m still smoking, feeling guilty about my bad habit…

5 Likes

Yep!

BeautifulAmazingKrill-max-1mb

2 Likes

I’m planning to quit nicotine too as of 01 January. Actually today because I finished my last pack last night and it’s too close to buy another pack.

Think of all that money you’ll be saving.

3 Likes

Great! Maybe join our grumpy ever after club?
The sad thing is that all the money saved from booze went to cigs, lighters and vaping (which I didn’t like). No use to cry for the spilled milk though.

1 Like

Lol! Seriously, it adds up!!

Look at quitting nicotine like drinking…finding new ways to keep yourself occupied in the beginning. A support group IRL if they have them nearby is also great. Or online like here or quitsmoking on reddit etc.

You can do this.

2 Likes

Thanks @SassyRocks! I will, I know I will. There was a local quitters group about to start but then it was cancelled for some staff training reason. This doesn’t dispirit me, I feel more like fierce “I’ll do it anyway” :facepunch:

3 Likes

Excellent attitude!!! That’s too bad about the local group. There used to be quitnet online, but I believe it is shutting down. The reddit site is pretty active.

3 Likes

Thank you :pray: I’m a little like this… if someone says I cannot do it, or circumstances are against I get that as a battle to defeat. I hope my sober fellows here and there will stand me if I moan. And that this thread will help me as well as my other nicotine quitting friends :muscle:

7 Likes

20th day today.

Morning coffee is getting normal without the ciggs.

Im addicted to memes. Ive always liked memes, my consumption has increased significantly without cigarettes. Memes have replaced cigarettes.

My lungs still crave the feeling of smoking, but its not uncomfortable like it was.

Nicotene withdrawel was miserable. Really hard the first few days. I’d lay down just to try and get through it. Fortunately id fall asleep. To my suprise, I’ve been able to sleep which im grateful for. That takes care of hours of cravings.

Ive been painting. It helps keep my hands busy. The first few days i couldnt paint any details or calm down enough to do anything really good, so i prepped canvases. Grinding fresh paint into a new canvas was very satisfying.

I have been able to stay home. I dont think being around people would have been good.

I have to get back to work this week, so im hoping for the strength to make it.

Its the crab opener. Brutal work. Cigarettes are delicious when you havent slept for 30 hours and your working your ass off.

Im considering not doing it. Its good money. It can be. Only if your catching. Ive had bad seasons. Last season was good. So it will probably be good this year.

I worry about my sobriety crabbing too.

Beer is really really good when you step off a crab boat.

Ive got a couple of days to figure it out!

5 Likes

Sure I’ll join. I’m new to this site. How can I join?

1 Like