Gunna try meetings

I’ve decided I need to try something else in this journey. The way I’m doing things now isn’t enough anymore. Hoping meetings will help. Thing is when I step out of my comfort zone I get super anxious and sometimes hyperventilate. I’m worried I’ll sike myself out of not going. Can anyone give me a little idea how its kinda like? Maybe it’ll help me stay calm if I feel prepared when I go in. Also maybe give me a few ideas what kind of meeting I’m looking for it does it not matter? Just find a time I can go to one and just go? Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Meetings can be great. My opinion is don’t expect. Just listen and draw from It what touches you but don’t dwell on things that you may not relate to. Look for similarities. Stepping out of your comfort zone is a positive and courageous step. You are freaking awesome!!!

5 Likes

Announce yourself as a newcomer and feel the love. Nothing to fear. They’ll give you numbers. It’s about sharing experience, strength and hope.

5 Likes

You can go to any AA meeting. It is stepping out of your comfort zone but it’s a safe place with people that understand what you’re feeling. I found a newcomer meeting and that was the first one I went to, felt less intimidating. There are also women’s only meetings if that feels more comfortable. You can just listen, you don’t have to talk. But I would encourage you to introduce yourself if they ask who is new, it’s nice when people welcome you and offer support. I got some phone numbers my first couple meetings which has really helped me stay involved and committed.
SMART recovery and Women for Sobriety also have some face to face meetings, but AA has tons more meetings, every day and time.
Good for you that you want to try something different because you realize what you’re doing isn’t working. That’s what happened to me and that’s what got me to AA. Was scary at first but I’m so glad I went!

5 Likes

I second this. AA has been the only thing I went into with no expectations and didn’t try to understand why it works or argue when I didn’t like something.

I just sat in my corner. Day after day after day. Then a funny thing happened, I realized that all these people who didn’t look like me, talk like me, have the same experiences as me… All hurt like me at one point. Then I realized they thought like me too.

Now they were laughing and hugging and living life with out alcohol. That could be me (without hugging of course) if I didn’t pick up and came to meetings. And I have done that now for almost six months since my first meeting.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for y’alls support and encouragement. I looked up a few different meetings up last night and I found a couple that I’m gunna call once they open. Hopefully get a little more insight on the process they have.

Side note: as I type this I’m crying and shaking from my anxiety being through the roof. But I know its only because this is such a sentive topic for me and because I know I need help. If I didn’t this would be easy right? Just have to stay strong. Thanks again everyone!

5 Likes

I do two meetings a week one at church and one at aa.

1 Like

Try a religion based meeting it is more helpful than others. Your church might have a celebration recovery that’s wat I attend and it’s great. Great fellowship.

Do you no harm wish you well

What’s great about meetings is everyone understands what you’re going through. They understand being nervous or shy. They aren’t going to make you stand up or share unless you want to. If you just want to sneak in the back, listen and leave without talking to anyone that’s completely fine. We have all been there. When you are ready to open up they will be there waiting with open arms and no judgement.

For me, I was so used to isolating that I was beyond thrilled to actually have people to talk to. I would just walk up to people and start talking. I’m very good friends with a lot of those people I approached. In fact one of them is my sponsor. There’s been days where I stayed after a meeting for 90 minutes just shooting the shit. Some of the best recovery I’ve gotten is riding to and from meetings with other drunks/addicts.

2 Likes