Gym selfies, weightlifting & fitness šŸ”„ (TW gym attire. Keep rules #6 and #7 in mind) (Part 1)

I thinks its healing, just slowly. The pain is decreasing more and more, also after rehab exercises. Iā€™m trying to get new physio apppointments cos I donā€™t know how to progress further w it tho. I have sought out some info on injury and tendons and it seems a lot of it is leaving it alone. So I try to do little. And also I have realised I was way way way overtrained and underfed in autumn. I was ignorant and brought this on myself.

Iā€™ve been eating more, especially rest day carbs are up by 3x the amount. Iā€™m trying to make rest a priority more - like a 12hrs bar shift without a single break where your legs are on fire the next day and you get hardly any sleep maybe should not count as a rest day. :-S

Iā€™m learning. If anyone has some solid trusted source of info on injury and overtraining prevention for someone whoā€™s been doing this a while, Iā€™m all ears.

I am doing 531 and that doesnā€™t have full on pull days. Iā€™m still barred from any curl, pull-ups or heavy row movements. I tested a bent over row last week and it aggravated the arm.
Iā€™ve been doing one armed rows and that goes ok, no pain after. Really miss doing pull-ups (and looking like I do pullups, not gonna lie) but thatā€™ll still be a long time. My PT estimated Septemberā€¦

Thanks for asking! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

The heavy dumbbell or EZ bar pullover is really the only exercise Iā€™ve found that really targets and stretches out the lats really well, without much of any strain on the biceps. I know how hard it is trying to work back and not pull and bend the elbows

2 Likes

Ohh, I will give this a try, many thanks!

Imma have to start a bit lighter cos I canā€™t really use my arm fully to stabilise during setup. Iā€™m limited even in say a seated db SP cos I canā€™t slowly bring heavy dbs up into my lap or back to starting position w my arm :roll_eyes: and anything I have to do more than 10times makes me nauseous lolā€¦

V grateful for the tip! :sparkles:

3 Likes

Iā€™m really jealous of everyone getting after it hereā€¦ Iā€™ve been unable to lately. At first because of time constraints and now because of health.

Those that have been around awhile know I love my gym and loved being in it. Just know that life is gonna kick your ass and itā€™s alot easier taking those ass kickings sober with some muscle on yaā€¦ keep grinding but listen to your body.

7 Likes

Not sure whatā€™s going on but wishing you only the best, Dan. Hope you can get back to it the absolute soonest possible. And get well. Much love.

:ok_hand:t2:

6 Likes

I gotta tell someone, people that will understand.

My back injury recurred back in early March like you all know. Since then, everything in my low back/hips/glutes has been super locked up. Horrible stiffness and persistent, varying levels of pain.

Last night I was doing my daily stretching/yoga, and all at once, EVERYTHING - like the entire middle third of my body - let go and opened up.

When I tell you this was the most intense feeling of relief/release that I have EVER had in my LIFE, itā€™s not hyperbole. I had an immediate and involuntary response of crying and laughing for a solid 10 mins after.

I think I undid stress/tension in there that even predates my spine fusion. I havenā€™t felt space in my spine and pelvis like this in YEARS.

My fuck, I am so damn grateful today.

13 Likes

What a beautiful experience! @TMAC thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m so glad to hear this. :grin::grin:. Was it a particular stretch that you did that seemed to unlock everything. Or just in general

3 Likes

Thatā€™s such great news!! I hope it stays this way :tada::tada::tada:

2 Likes

Congratulations. I can imagine. :pray:t2:

Like @Jasty2 I wanna know what stretch tho :eyes:

3 Likes

@Jasty2 @Faugxh

Childā€™s Pose! Specifically, the wide-knee version.
Not a new one for me, but first time I had done it in a bit because through this period of injury, it had actually caused at least one setback earlier on (my own fault pushing through a spasm when I shouldnā€™t have).
Instead of slightly rounding my low back like typically done in childs pose I kept it arched downward towards the floor and pushed myself back into it with my arms so it was purely a hip stretch. Chest touching the floor. Then clawed my arms out as long as I could, pulling out my lats bit-by-bit. Fourth or fifth deep breath, whammo. Everything melted off.

I donā€™t know. I just managed to push a button Iā€™ve never been able to get to. It felt like I had been kissed by god. I had to lie down and collect myself for a few moments while giggling like a maniac. I feel so much lighter this morning, physically and mentally. There was not just months, but YEARS of tension in that one.

11 Likes

I remember this pose with the wide knees, I think itā€™s called Frog pose, it is a great hip stretch. And then you manipulated your back to a point where it released for you, which is awesome. Iā€™ll have to try and incorporate more yoga. After hip surgery the right one has less flexibility, so I should be doing more of that anyway :+1:

6 Likes

So this is what the homemade squat rack turned into. Iā€™ll sand it down and stain it. Iā€™ll post a pic of the aquarium at some point after itā€™s up and running.

11 Likes

Wow, youā€™re like insanely handy. :eyes:
Will the fish be in the dark when they misbehave? Or when you sick of looking at they non-lifting asses haha.

Jk it looks super nice!

3 Likes

Thanks Iā€™m by no means a carpenter, but my work is usually at least sturdy. :grin:

3 Likes

I just went for an 8 mile walk.

Even at my best since this back issue started, I could do this, but my back/hips would be worn out and rock-stiff by the end.

Just got in, and not the slightest hint of ANYTHING. I feel like I didnā€™t even walk. Loose as a goose.

I donā€™t want to jinx myself but this is, without exaggeration, the best I have felt in 6+ years since this all started. Even after the surgery, I still lived with a TON of stiffness.

Today I am experiencing a level of freedom and safety in my body and in my mind that I didnā€™t think I would ever have again. I thought injury, mental health struggle, and father time had taken both for good. Past two days Iā€™ve been wiggling my hips around unimpeded, absolutely tickled about it. I have new sensation and strength/control in my left leg that I hadnā€™t even realized Iā€™d lost.

Itā€™s difficult to put into words, the weight I had been carrying all that time, half a dozen years, that is now just seemingly - gone. Fuckin miraculous is what it is.

14 Likes

Do any of you guys know of any good fitness related podcasts?

3 Likes

Mindpump is pretty decentā€¦ at least the early years, sometimes they get a little carried away on current events.

3 Likes

The Huberman Lab has some pretty good episodes on fitness although that isnā€™t the main focus of his podcasts in general.

2 Likes

I agree with the early episodes of mind pump

1 Like