Had a slip...now I feel terrible 😔

I relapsed.:woman_facepalming:t5:now the guilt begins smh

3 Likes

Yea the guilt eats me alive too. It helps me to remember that I’m not perfect. What’s important is that you don’t give up. I had almost a year back in May. I started over…and then over…and over again. Now I’m at 47 days. One day at a time. A friend of mine pointed out to me that guilt is a sign of growth. If we didn’t feel guilty then it would mean that we don’t care. We can’t change the past but we can make a difference in our future. Move forward and learn from this experience. Chin up my friend…

13 Likes

Guilt and regret are like barnacles on a boat: they steal energy from your sails, foul your hull, and slow you down. Addiction is the rope keeping you tied to the dock, preventing your sailing to a new port.

Quit looking behind you. Your future is in front of you. Slip the line of addiction. Scour the guilt and regret from your boat. Spread your sail here, and catch the wise winds that blow.

Get to sailing.

14 Likes

Obviously don’t know much about your situation. But is it easy for you to use. Have you got easy access to your DOC. If so can you either remove it or yourself.
You’ve almost done a day, so you are starting to realise what it’s going to be like.
Each time you try you can keep going a bit further. Don’t let the guilt get to you. As long as you keep trying you can never fail!:grinning:

5 Likes

I love that analogy!!

1 Like

Feel free to visualize! That’s what I do.

1 Like

Sorry you had slip , maybe feel guilty before the slip might prevent it. but maybe a meeting might help helped me havnt had slip yet wish you well

1 Like

I really hope so. I have messed up so many times in some many idiotic ways. The guilt is there. But I keep reseting the clock…

4 Likes

Ponder on that for a moment…why you keep slipping and/or relapsing. Sometimes when I go back and think i realize how I could’ve done things differently and not taken that drink. My mind will always try and make me believe that it’s ok to drink. I know otherwise. Alcohol was my comfort for a long time. I had to learn other ways of comforting myself. Now drinking isn’t that much of an option.

2 Likes

Matter of fact, back in the golden age of piracy, lots of pirates would get caught and slaughtered during their mooring and tarring of their ship hulls. It was necessary to dry land a ship to scrape off the barnacles. They were a bit stranded until tides changed though.

The analogy is great because we must maintain our hulls (that which keeps us afloat/sobriety) in order to sail (progress and excel in life).

Cool analogy, Steve!

6 Likes

That’s exactly what the problem is. I start getting careless after a few days have passed. I start thinking that I am not an alcoholic. Round and round like a hamster trapped.

1 Like

Glad to see your back, looks like that controlled drinking experiment didn’t work.

What action are you ready to take to make it stick?

2 Likes

Nothing specific planned so far. AA hasn’t worked. My psychiatrist is a good option. His medication has helped in the past.

1 Like

So don’t get careless.
Pay attention to it constantly.
Have you tried AA, smart, any other groups?

I know the feeling. Chin up! I’m in same situation. First sober day, again…