Halfway Through Day 1

I know I need to do this but I don’t think I’ve fully accepted it. I have been going to work buzzed for a really long time and I know I will lose my job. My wife thinks I cut back but I just got better at hiding it. Anyway, I figure the community might help me be successful.

Thanks for reading!

7 Likes

Hi and welcome.
Have a good look around the forum, search any topics by using the search bar at the top. If you can’t find and answer don’t be afraid to ask.
This community has helped me a lot but I fully immersed myself in the process using advice from here.
If you work hard you can achieve your goals.

2 Likes

Welcome. This is a helpful place. Keeping yourself busy is a key element at first. Getting outside your own mind an focusing on others helps. Volunteer.

Whats your plan of attack to atay sober? AA? That is what I did and I’m over a year.

You can do it!!!

2 Likes

I’m not sure. I started reading Powerless No Longer. I’m pretty antisocial (on the autism spectrum) and I’m an atheist so I’m not sure AA is for me. I do like the idea of volunteering - I’ve wanted to give back to my community but I don’t do well meeting people and in social settings. That’s what led me to dip my toe in the water and start here lol

Hello and welcome here :bouquet:
It helps to come here often. Read, vent, ask for help when needed.
Do you have alcohol in your house? Get rid of it, it make it easier to quit when your house is empty. Tell your wife about your sober plan so she knows were you going trough.
Succes with day one and may many follow! :heart:

1 Like

Keep going. You can do this.

1 Like

Welcome. One day at a time :hugs:

1 Like

Keep going, take an hour at a time if you need to and do whatever it takes to stay in track. I walked for miles and miles to distract myself in my first few days. Eat plenty and drink lots of water - it all helps and go to bed early with a book if you can. You’re going to feel so proud of yourself tomorrow!!

3 Likes

Hi @timetoquit, how are you doing? I was thinking about you yesterday!

1 Like

Thanks so much for checking! Still hanging in there. Still struggling with acceptance and the rationalizations I keep trying to make. It’s crazy the tricks my mind is playing to try to get me to drink!

1 Like

I know, and they’ll be around for a wee while, so you need to get some back chat ready to shut the voices up. Is this your first time trying? I only ask because there is so much good advice on here and tips for getting through the different stages. Have you heard of ‘playing the tape right through?’ That worked for me in the early days and weeks, and I still pull it out when I need to!

Yeah, this is my first time. I hadn’t heard of playing the tape through before I got here but I’ve been trying to read as time permits and it seems like a good idea. I know I’m not ready to do this, but I also know I can’t keep drinking while I figure it out.

Just asking, how will you know when you are ready? I didn’t think I was by the way, but my body and mind were. Either way, reading will help you fill your tool bag up and when you do feel ready, you will have a lot of resources to draw on :slight_smile:. Keep coming back.

2 Likes