HANGRY- any suggestions?

Hello - I’m about 17 days sober from alcohol (binges) …. the longest I’ve not had a drink in probably 5 years?! I realize in all that time I was never actually hungry. Now … I’m STARVING …. Hungry all the time. Which is making me hangry. Lol. Any tips for suddenly getting a voracious appetite back? I used to drink my calories. Apparently that suppressed this sensation. Just not sure how to cope. How long does this phase last? Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi welcome to the forum.

I just allowed myself to have lots of healthy snacks and I made them easily available. So prewashed/cut veggies and then I packaged up some trail mix, dried fruit, stuff like that.

I wanted sugar and lots of it. At times I found myself squeezing the honey straight into my mouth!!!

It’s been said to just allow your body the food it wants and due to the high sugar in alcohol this is why we crave it.

That compulsion went at about 5 months for me I think… I can’t remember exactly but everyone will be different. But the grazing all day is kind of my thing. Lol

3 Likes

Thank you! Great info. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It you use the little magnifying glass at the top of this page and search sugar cravings or food cravings something like that a whole bunch of previous threads should come up and you can read what others have said.

Thanks ! I’ll try that!

I embraced it. Less destructive than booze and fewer calories…even if it wasnt, eating was a whole lot better than drinking. Eventually I put the cake and kitkats down and ate normally again

Just avoid white sugar and refined sugar junk food and with anything else is day you’re probably to give yourself a little bit of a break

I ate whenever I was hungry at the beginning. As @Its_me_Stella says, I kept it reasonably healthy, but I certainly didn’t deprive myself. I found that a cup of coffee with a bit of something sweet (which was really unusual for me) at around 4pm helped with the witching hour madness, and the hangry-ness.
The strange thing is that despite eating better than I ever have, including much more substantial meals, my calorie intake has diminished overall and I have lost a decent amount of weight. This is probably partly due to having a lot more energy to be a bit more active, and also sleeping better.
Whatever happens short term, if you stick with it long term you will feel better in every single way.
Good luck.

2 Likes