Happy being sober for one year

Tomorrow marks my one year anniversary of choosing not to drink alcohol, and I’m amazed by how much my life has changed for the better. A year ago i was really down and despress in what im go into.until lady night i cant forget the imagine its come in my mind.Before I talk more about my own experiences, I want to say that I don’t judge people who like to drink. Just because I think my own life is better without booze in it does not mean that I think everyone should make the same choice as me. I talk openly about my struggles with alcohol not to shame people who drink, but to normalize the difficulties many have with alcohol. I’ve had a number of conversations this past year with people who were also troubled with their use of alcohol, and those conversations would never have happened had I not been public with my own struggles.
There were days and sometimes weeks when I didn’t drink because there were more important things to do. Alcohol didn’t rule my life, but it was a large part of it. I don’t think most people even knew I
was struggling because I was able to hide it or manage my drinking well enough that they wouldn’t suspect.
I’ve quit drinking before a couple of times, I’ve also abstained for four months here or six months there, but this time is different. All of those previous attempts were me saying “I want to drink, but I don’t think it’s a good idea for me right now. I’m just taking a break, but I’ll eventually figure out a way to drink in moderation.” This time I don’t have an end date in mind and I can’t even imagine a world in which I’d want to drink again.
I’ve tried so many different ways to moderate my drinking. I’ve set limits on how much I can drink for a day, week, or month but nothing change with my attitude.
voice un my head did not stop. This voice was never sated. It took tremendous willpower to say, no, I have work tomorrow and I value my ability to think clearly at work more than having another alcohol But I had to have that conversation with myself whenever I was drinking. Every. Single. Time. Even when I chose to not drink, I still had to have that conversation to decide to not drink.it was not easy.cause i dont know how to control my drinking.until get the blackhole.
I’ve been sober for a year now. An entire year. I’m very proud of that accomplishment because it took a lot of willpower to even want to change, not to mention keep going for as long as I have. I’m also incredibly thankful for those who has helped me and supported me every step of the way. Those been more patient than I could reasonably expect of anyone, so thank you for all the support over the years. I wouldn’t be sober without your help.
What’s surprising for me is how much I’ve learned about myself after I stopped drinking. There are the changes I knew would likely happen.i be more patient to myself and look the things in différent away then before.
The other ways my life has changed, however, were wholly unexpected. I had to learn, or possibly re-learn, how to accetp with emotionally difficult situations without using alcohol as a way to numb them. I had to learn how to socialize in groups of people I don’t know without alcohol loosening me up. And I learned that I was self-prosess to stop.
I’ve also been able to feel emotion in an entirely new and exciting way. Before, I’d say my emotions were limited to a narrow range and now I can understand and appreciate a much, much wider breadth of emotions. My life just feels so much clearer. I get angry and upset less and have a greater ability to be emotionally available for family and friends if they need me. I have been able to connect with people in a way that previously felt difficult or impossible.
It’s been a lot to take in and difficult at times, but I feel like I know myself better than I ever have before and I value myself To say my life has changed is an understatement. Yes, I gave up drinking, which I enjoyed, but what I gained was so, so much more than what I gave up. I’m kind of amazed that it took so long for me to give up drinking, but I think my brain fixated on all the unlikely worst case scenarios instead of the likely best case ones.
I don’t know what the coming month or year is going to bring, but I’m in a much better place after not drinking for a year.And lastly, I’m going to continue learning about who I am.

22 Likes

Great accomplishment n awesome truthful inspirational post. Thank you for sharing. @Salson🙏🏽

2 Likes

Congratulations on 1 year. That is so awesome!! And thanks for sharing. I can relate with you so much. I was also a functioning alcoholic and I refused to meet with new people until I had a couple in me to loosen the nerves. I’m so glad your achieving this goal!! It’s a long journey to sobriety but its a good one as well.
CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!! :v::100::pray:

2 Likes

Amazing, thanks for sharing and well done on the commitment you’ve made to being the best version of yourself! :pray::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Really amazing, congrats!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!

1 Like

Congratulations on one year. That is huge! I’m so happy you’ve found a better way.

1 Like

Congratulations! :confetti_ball::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:
You did everything sober for this year: your birthday, Christmas, Eastern, the first day in spring, bbq’s, holiday, etc.
Well done!! :trophy:

2 Likes

Congrats on 1 year thats alot of time. I hope to get there one day. One day at a time right?

1 Like

Congratulations, thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Huge congratulations on reaching one year!

1 Like

Amazing!!! You must and should be so proud Of yourself. Congratulations on one year!! :tada::muscle:t3:

1 Like

Thks you so.much for all support.its make me to stay more stronger… :pray:

1 Like

So happy for you! You got this! :birthday: