Hard time dating now

Almost 8 months sober.
Does anyone else find it hard to date being in sobriety. Also, im almost in my 30s…
I feel like im picky as it is & on top of it i have to find someone on the same page as me (sobriety)

6 Likes

@Mobius ahem … Signed, the love connector :heart_eyes:

Lol im confused

Check out @Mobius profile for his love connection issues though I don’t think you’re in the same country?

1 Like

Lol im in the united states

2 Likes

How much sober time do you have? I ask because it’s recommended to refrain from dating until you have a solid year under your belt. Sounds like you are still adjusting to sobriety, so maybe give this some thought?

6 Likes

Im almost 8 months sober … And lol, im not waiting a year. Im not looking for just anything… I have standards that need to match my lifestyle. I was just curious if anyone else in recovery is having a hard time dating ?

1 Like

Good for you. The whole wait for a year thing makes people seem like sheep. As for M I’m not pushing anything but, I’m just saying, long distance always worked for me. Shutting up now​:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Lol… Yea… I mean… If i was a few months in… I wouldnt recommend it… But im pretty sure with what im looking for - it comes with standards… Im picky for a reason (my recovery comes first) & i would do online dating, but defintely would have to be in the united states where im from. Lol

2 Likes

So long as this is always the in the forefront, you’ll do well. Stay picky. You’ve settled before and where did it get you? No rush though, do your thing and let it come about naturally.

4 Likes

I find it incredibly tough too, to the point I’ve questioned whether it’s easier if I just drank again. Alcohol is so ingrained into society that dating revolves around that as the pivotal point with people not able to see it as a drug. Imagine asking someone if they fancy smoking a bowl of crack on a first date. Anyway I digress.

Yes it’s tough, dating is tough anyway especially finding someone who meets our criteria and now we’ve gone and narrowed the fucking field down even further! At least before we weren’t ruling out the ones who drink a lot. There seems to be only a select few who understand, or don’t care if you don’t drink but it’s few and far between. I get it that people say you shouldn’t date in the first year, well it’s been 324 days, 41 days ain’t gonna make much difference and it’s as tough now as it was 323 days ago :man_shrugging:

I’d love to give you some sage advice, “do this and it’ll work out” but I can’t, just thought I’d have a moan with you that it’s pretty crappy :joy:

2 Likes

You cant force love. Be patient and love yourself make your self worth a catch. When ive ever been searching for it i end up being desperate n settle for someone im not fully compatable with and try to force it to work. Many of us are over a year clean and still single. Enjoy your life … No need to add stress to it trying to force and find a partner. Finding sober people can be hard unfortunately unless you start getting involved in meetings or no alcohol festivals or events.

7 Likes

I was in the same boat like it was already a rule of mine before i quit that i didnt like going to bed with anyone that was drunk now its i dont like it at all

I dated when i was 2 years sober after my divorce had a few dates but met Sheila when i was 6 years sober married 2 years later and were married 25 years this july she hasn t got a drink problem .told her on our first date that i was going to AA she did not seem to mind as she dosnt drink a lot anyway , and we have two sons 23 and 21 , great journey keep on trucking

3 Likes

A friend suggested Tinder, POF; I’m giving it the college try but also having a hard time with finding a viable match.
I know I was picky before–I typically have long relationships puncuated by periods of abstinence due to tough standards–and I am not willing to settle for just anyone for a brief moment of satisfaction.
I guess what I’m saying is I am torn between being alone and adjusting my lens to accept traits I hadn’t before. Ironically, my indecision will probably lead to waiting and in that time, someone special will turn up!
My spirituality has been working in that way since I got into recovery…when I have a problem, I just practice positive thoughts and the solution presents itself so long as I remain optimistic.
I guess what I’m saying is I am satisfying my curiosity by putting myself out in the dating world, but managing my expectations about the results.
Sorry, I guess I don’t have any good advice. But I hope some similarities can be drawn and just know you’re not the only one having the same struggle!
Oh, and I can’t say I’m trying if I don’t throw it out there:
I’m in Oregon, and sober friends are hard to come by, so hit me up if any of you readers need a friend too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Taylor! Did things finally work themselves out with you and your (ex) husband? I know you were struggling with what to do about things between you two.

I completely agree with @CaptAZ, don’t settle.

1 Like

This subject if your single, is difficult no matter where you are in life! Sometimes we create unrealistic expectations and standards. Especially, if you just went through a long relationship. The older you get the more difficult things become.

I do utilize dating sites, and have been on several dates. I suggest you keep an open-mind, and try not to create pre-conceived notions.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Girl im going through the divorce process now! You have no idea the hell ive been going through these past few months… He fell off and is deep back into the streets of addiction. But as i told you, this entire time i was just staying with him for our children. But… Its basically like ive been single this whole time

1 Like

For sure, we definitely have that in common unfortunately.

Damn Taylor!! I am SO sorry you’re going through this but honestly I couldn’t be happier for you that you’re finally distancing yourself from him.

1 Like

Be happy with yourself and love will find you or thats what i tell myself anyway haha