Has anyone had their ALT tested? Health risks of drinking

So at the end of my last binge episode (mid November) I went to my Dr. for help to stop drinking (withdrawals) and my ALT levels were 104, and normal should be below 35 for a woman. She has me scheduled end of January for a follow up test to see if quitting alcohol willrwduce these levels. I was wondering if anyone has had this test and went back after quitting and had reduced ALT levels?

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile: I dont remember exact numbers but mine was way too high also. Then I stopped drinking and after two months it was back to normal. I did stupidly and relapse after and drankt more. But yes, it is likely to come back to normal

That’s good to know. Pretty nervous because I was tested 3 years ago and it was fine. So 3 years of drinking almost every night has finally taken it’s toll😯

Liver has they magic to recover :wink: but that was my first I need to stop, and stopped but (stupid decision) the time it came back to normal I started again. Dont know how it is now, I hope that good :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine was even higher 128

Well that gives me hope then. I ignored that little voice in my head for so long until I realized that I really felt bad, not just a hangover. I hope it’s soon enough to reverse any damages.

As my doctor said: livers has they magic to recover but stop to drink

1 Like

Don’t be too worried. The ALT is an indication of proteins in the bloodstream caused by active damage. Once the damage stops the numbers return to normal.

If your liver damage was really serious you’d have very obvious symptoms. Usually this is seen more in chronic, daily, malnourished alcoholics. Not always.

Highly recommend taking milk thistle. It’s not expensive or dangerous and has antioxidant properties. Some studies show it helps the liver. I take it with my vitamin.

3 Likes

I should mention, I had fatty liver diagnosed by ultrasound when I binge ate as a teen, before drinking, and had greasy stool and nausea even.

It recovered and fast forward through years of weekly+ binge drinking, my numbers and liver are ok.

I was taking milk Thistle and stopped. I will start it up again. When I think about drinking I just pull up my ALT results online…

1 Like

My ALT was 59 IU/L normal is between 0- 50 so I’m not too bad off. My glucose was high 121 when normal is 70-99. My AST was 45 with the normal range between 5-34. My acetaminophen level was <3 when normal is between 10-30. My RBC were just a little low. My sodium was low but I don’t eat processed foods so that’s to be expected.

I went for a liver and kidney function test when i was drinking heavily. My doc didn’t go into detail but he said levels were double what they should be, he said it’s worse than what it would be if I went on a hen do and got completely wasted the night before and it’s like im drinking continuously without a break ( which I was doing) but he said it’s repairable, so 11 months on I’m going to have another one hopefully this week and see if anything has changed.Hope yours does too! :hugs:

I was actually told I had cirrhosis, but I didn’t. They were very high and climbing. However, the liver is amazing. I am definitely am done pushing my luck though. I try to eat healthy, drink a lot of water, and take a healthy dose of milk thistle twice daily. I got my levels down to normal during my last sober stint over a year ago. I should probably check again soon.

2 Likes

I just had all my tests again, after 5 months sober. Thank the Lord everything is back to normal!

3 Likes

After months of drinking everyday with occasional binges thrown in, i have a constant pain in my shoulder and a ‘buzzing’ pain below lower right back ribs. This appears to be referred pain from my liver. It is still there after 6 days no drink. I have looked upon myself as a functioning alcoholic jokingly, but deep down not able to truly accept reality. I have a drs appointment on monday regarding something different but deep down i fear i must face up to reality and discuss this with my dr.