Has anyone used Antabuse medicine?

Okay, I started drinking heavily in the last year or two because my anxiety was bad and I couldn’t sleep. It began when I noticed that one night after having a few too many that I slept amazingly and didn’t wake up all throughout the night panicking. So I drink at least 5 nights a week now until I can go to sleep easily with no worries. I don’t consider myself an alcoholic but more of me using it as a sleeping agent. But every time I decide to quit using it to sleep, I get anxiety about sleep so I drink instead. Any opinions about Antabuse or other medications for alcohol.

Yea I have been on Antabuse and it isn’t going to help with your sleep and anxiety issues, it is a deteriant as in if you drink while on it or even two weeks after the last dosage you can become violently ill. I would suggest talking to your doctor about your anxiety and insomnia as well as using alcohol to relieve these issues. Sleep is a big factor in being able to abstain.

I’m on medicine for anxiety but it doesn’t make me tired at all so when I can go to sleep, I wake up often. If I drink, I sleep usually all night. I know drinking a lot isn’t healthy and is expensive. I just have so much anxiety about going to sleep. I have an appointment next week so I will see if he can give me a sleeo medication maybe. Thank you for responding.

1 Like

I take a sleep medicine and it is so worth it, like I said sleep is so important! Drinking eventually stops working and trust me it is progressive. Maybe you drink a bottle of wine a night now, but soon ts gonna be 2 bottles and so on…Stop now while your not totally physically and mentally Dependant. Good luck sister!

1 Like

What medication do you use? And I drink up to a pint and a half a night at least 5 days a week. I don’t feel addicted to it because I’ve went days and even weeks without it and it didnt bother me except for the sleeping part. I can’t use Ambien or Lunesta bc I’ve tried before and I called my mom and talked for 3 hours and didn’t recall a thing. Lol. I’m not okay with that.

I know if you are in some type of treatment program, the pharma will give you a monthly Vivatrol shot for free vs. I think $400-500 US/month. The person I know went to outpatient and got the shot and has now been sober over a year. I can get the website if you want.

Yes that would be great. Thank you

1 Like

OK, I’m not sure if posting websites is allowed on here, but it’s easy to find online if you search for vivatrol free.

2 Likes

I think you can post links. They might frown if it for non recovery things but you are trying to help somebody

1 Like

u can post links as long as its on topic and you are not trying to sell something lol

OK, well it’s for recovery and I’m not trying to sell anything, but I gave enough info. for anyone to be able to locate it.

Am bien can be scary. Have you tried trazadone? Sleepytime tea works for me after being alcohol free for a while.

I use to take trazadone. That helps if you can’t take Lunesta. Benadryl, valerian root and melatonin are great. Also serequel is another one that might help. As far as liquor goes check out campral from your Google search. Worked miracles for me. I had a heavy drinking problem and have been sober from alcohol. I am now struggling with opiates and ice.

1 Like

I was so anxious last night as I was on day Two of detox and two benadryl with sleepy time tea really calmed me. I was surprised and slept all night.

I used to have a couple of drinks and i would have an awesome sleep. In the end i was having about 10 per night (weeknights) and needed sleeping pills to fall asleep. I have used campral before and did 6 months sober. You cant start it for about 7 days after drinking so you need will power however it will not make you sick if you do drink while taking it. Im not going to bother taking it this time though as last time i tried to quit with it i just kept drinking while taking it. I dont think there is a magic pill

I told my doctor my issues finally and he put me on trazadone. I am going to get it from the pharmacy today so praying it works .

Don’t drink alcohol, very bad advice. We’re on Sober Time for a reason. Good luck at your doctors appointment hopefully he/she can help you.

I don’t drink unless I have anxiety and can’t sleep. I’m on here for a drug addiction that I’ve been clean from for 7 years. As long as this medication works, I won’t need to drink unless I’m having a girls night out, in which we have drinks. Thanks.

That’s awesome to be drug free for 7 years! Congrats! I was an addict as well. My hat is off to you if you can drink with no bad consequences! Lord knows I tried!

Thank you. And yes, I’ve never been a big drinker until my anxiety went insane. For awhile ZZzquil worked so I went months without using alcohol as a sleep aid. But I guess my body got used to it so alcohol helped so much. I don’t want it to turn into a physical dependence so that’s why I told my doctor about needing something to sleep. Fingers crossed, this medicine works for me.