Have you quit smoking?!?! Come share your story & hope with me please! Spare no details :)

Hey y’all,

I want to quit smoking very badly. Very badly. I hate it, amd hate that I am still a smoker and know my daughter is 7 and I cannot hide it from her much longer. I never wanted to be a smoking parent, but when I did smoke I used to have 1 a day and maybe somedays 2 or 3 max…these were one off days, or we were having people over and up late.

I quit the first time 12 yrs ago befpre my hubby and I started dating. I quit while trying to have all 3 of our kids (Id have a couple during time of month I knew I wasnt), while pregnant and generally made it a couple months after births. I nursed when they were small, so I waited until they were to sleep to go have that smoke in what looked like a hazmat suit. Again, usually 1 or 2 a day, and even after 2nd daughter died I know I maybe smoked a bit more in early days but it didnt last and I dont remember it being an issue (we also started trying again not long after she died).

After my sister was killed a yr and a half ago, I started to struggle with alcohol and smoking a lot more. Im smoking more then i have in my whole life, at some point I sit and smoke 2 in the evening in a row. I smoke 4-8 a day, generally about 5 or 6. We have been thrpugh so much, and I know that but Im so tired of smoking yet cant imagine quitting at the same time. I want my husband to quit alsp, and he does too but I know he has to make the choice in his own time.

Anyway, I just love hearing peoples experiences. Ive seen quite a few ppl on hear talking about how they quit or dont smoke anymore. Tell me your stories, tell me what led to it, how you did it, how you dealt with cravings…please share your hope witb me (and have a great day :slight_smile: xo

9 Likes

You might want to check out this thread:

3 Likes

Thanks for this! :slight_smile: love the term asshole its one of my favs :joy:

1 Like

I have smoked/not smoked for a long time. When I finally really wanted to quit all by myself, it was because my son sometimes stole my cigarettes. How could I tell him it’s so bad for you and how expensive if I lit up a cigarette first thing in the morning. I stopped smoking, with plasters and chewing gum for the first few weeks and because I really really really wanted to. Never again! So happy with it it’s so nasty. My 3 sons do not smoke. They saw how much I struggled to quit. Yes I wanted that and yes I bought another pack. Now over 8 years of freedom.

1 Like

Hey Mira! Argh, smoking cigarettes!! I smoked for 30+ years (started in my early teens). After my first husband’s suicide and my own near death and all that went on after that, I was up to 4 packs a day for about a year and eventually settled back at 2 packs a day and then down to a solid 1 unless out drinking (which was often), then back up to two. This was all long before vapes and right around the time of patches, lozenges and Chantix (which I never took because of possible side effects and family history). By the time I was in quitting mode I was 100% sick of smoking and man did nicotine have a hold on me.

It took me 2+ years in a quit and relapse cycle to finally be done. One extremely helpful resource I utilized was the now defunct QuitNet, which offered community support, resources and information (much like here). The state I lived in the US also offered free patches for tapering. I lived on QuitNet and took to heart the suggestions of changing routine (to change associations/habits), finding new distractions (I took up running), finding replacements (I used sugar free LifeSavers).

Changing my habits/associations…get up, smoke, coffee, smoke, get in car, smoke…etc was hard and I came to HATE my car as it reeked of cigarettes and held so many smoking associations. It was also all dinged up from my drunk driving, but that is another story. Changing my associations was a big help…switched to tea and the ritual of making it, started journaling, ate earlier, drove a new way to work, etc.

Distraction of running, baking, reading…running was a big one for me, started small with a couch to 5k and I kept at it (still running 15 years later, I will get there eventually…haha runners joke!). That led me to a strength training class, which led to Jazzercise, which I adored. I had always hiked, snowshoed, skied, outdoorsy stuff grew up in mountains…but classes were new and I really loved them (would kill for a Jazz class nearbynow!!). Anyway…incorporating exercise was essential for me.

Sugar free LifeSavers…yes, they literally were!! I gobbled those! They were my go to for craves.

It was a time of many stops and starts (aka relapses). I would go a week or 2, then back at it, or a month, then back at it. I tried the patches, they were helpful for awhile. The nicotine lozenges…they also helped but literally rotted my teeth…so not a solution. But all the time I would relapse back to cigarettes. I was SO OVER MYSELF AND SMOKING and yet stuck in that cycle.

Then, I read Allen Carr’s Easy Way and realized that anxious gnawing feeling that I thought smoking was relieving. That anxious feeling that I thought was part of my make up…um, that was withdrawal from the nicotine…smoking wasn’t easing my anxiety it was causing it. Idk maybe folks know this now but to me, mind blown totally and I grasped all that smoking was giving me…bad health, anxiety, robbing me of time, life, etc. It was a mental shift.

Now I did not magically stop right then, but it was a distinct shift. I realized replacement with lozenges or patches would never work, that I had to starve nicotine out of me (and after 30+ years of it, there is a lot of nicotine in your cells). So I kept at it, quitting over and over til it stuck. Using the tools I had learned. Going straight back to quitting after each slip. NEVER GIVING UP. At the beginning of my last quit I started a low dose of Wellbutrin and took that for about 5 months I think. I suffered thru bad insomnia and constipation, but I do feel it helped me over some hump. That was all almost 15 years ago and I never looked back once the quit stuck. I don’t long for it, when I smell it it is gross and I am grateful I am done with that phase in my life.

However for me, I am a replace one with another and this was truly the beginning of my sober journey as well as I was oblivious and got deeper into drinking and drugs. Now of course I know all about substituting substances or behaviors and I have worked thru/continue to work on underlying reasons and trauma. But it was that quit that led to my healthy and positive life changes / journey to self and healing.

It was so hard and dragged me down so much. The key for me was to never stop quitting. I kept that near and dear always. I bargained and all that…had a friend parcel out cigarettes to me, all that stuff…same with drinking. But it clicked when it clicked. I often think it is the continuing on the path that is most important. Staying alive long enough to fulfill the quit and move forward.

Only my experience tho, I am sure others just stop. My grandmother did. Bless them and their process. Who knows how that felt for them. For me…a slog…but one firmly behind me. It was scary and emotional after…

Literally feeling emotions as an adult that I had always pushed nicotine at. I had literally never had an emotion without nicotine. And I can honestly say it took about a year to feel comfortable having emotions without nicotine and for nicotine to clear my cells. It was a process of meeting my self and what it feels like to live without nicotine in your cells.

Well that was long. :slightly_smiling_face: I am passionate about our ability to change long held habits, ways of being, substance abuse issues, activity level, ways of thinking, opinions…our selves. It is never too late and you are never too old. :sparkles: Don’t give up. :heart:

7 Likes

I quit smoking 13 years ago. Only smoked for 10 years but that was definitly long enough to do enough damage. I have asthma so back then smoking was causing alot of issues with my breathing. Id often be found smoking a cigearette in 1 hand while having my asthma inhaler in the other, using my medication to help me breathe so I could finish my smoke. Id end up in the hospital many times needing medication to open up my airways. Couldnt walk very far without having difficulty breathing. It was bad. I remember one hospital visit, the respiratory therapist came up to me and was sort of “scolding” me gently about quitting lol and he was great at motivating me to begin the journey of being a non smoker.
I used the step down method of the Nicorette Patch along with the Nicorette gum. I also used lemon juice. Strange i know but the respiratory therapist told me that when i craved a smoke, i need to change my tastebuds and to do that i used to put a few drops of lemon juice on my tongue. It actually did help oddly enough. But the stop smoking aids i think did most of the work. I had to quit coffee for a bit. Change up my routine so that i was building a new routine without cigarettes. Now i am not even remotely bothered by it. By husband smokes and i dont crave it or anything. It repulses me actually. One of the best decision for sure that Ive made. Outside of being clean and sober of course :slight_smile:
I think its amazing that u want to quit! Ita definitly not impossible and theres alot of stop smoking aids out there now to help. Im wishing u all the best on this journey!

4 Likes

I quite a year after i got sober and then you could smoke anywere and AA meetings were smokie joes lol ,but was going to the gym so it was cigs or gym and the gym won that was 36 years ago this October

7 Likes

I’m 192 days nicotine free. I smoked my first cigarette when I was 8ish just to see what it was all about. Then at 16 or so I started smoking whenever I could. I’m 44 now.

I varied a lot in my habit. Some years I was up to a pack per day and some years I was one or two per day. I was always ashamed of the habit and about half the people in my life knew I was a smoker.

After I joined here and started delving into the reasons behind addiction I realized that this addiction (for me) was about distancing people and about holding on to unhealthy coping mechanisms. My husband still smokes and I knew I would miss our late night check in with each other over a cigarette at the end of the day so I bought herbal cigarettes. For a month or two I would smoke one or maybe two herbal cigarettes at the end of the day and continued that practice until I didn’t want to go outside anymore.

During this time I also read Alan Carr’s Easy Way to Quit Smoking and really tried to understand why I was still smoking. Every time I lit up I let my head go wild with all the reasons I didn’t want to be smoking (I’m ashamed of my habit, It makes my clothes and hair smell, It’s expensive, It’s unhealthy) all while I smoked.

My counter is 192 days since I smoked a nicotine cigarette. I still have two packs of herbal cigarettes in my cupboard and carry them with me when I know I’ll encounter a trigger, coffee with my sister and camping were recent known triggers and I passed both without lighting up.

Look at your reasons for quitting, read a lot on here and in books. Alan Carr was great although I didn’t follow his system perfectly. Set your mind and take some steps. It is early days for me and I guard myself but I also see people smoking these days and I tell my mind “I used to do that but I don’t anymore”. Cigarette free is where I want to be. Get to work and get free! :heart:

6 Likes

I am going to come back and respond indovidually when “vacation” is done LOL. So busy witj the kods, which I do not mind (I do not expect vacations witj kids to be relaxinf at all), just the son has something going on and is super cranky and this creates the domino effect for attention!

Thank you all for sharing, and with such detail :slight_smile: My favourite are the long posts to read as I love readong peoples stories. I never mean to write a long post, even when respondinf something simple i write a novella. I have been told i am talkative (by those who know me, those who do not know me think I am super reserved and private :rofl:). Anywsy, appreciate this. I am so ready, goinf to read Allan Carrs book soon and give it a go!! Xo.

2 Likes

Thats amazing. Your sober date is 2 days before I was born! Right on you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have a copy of Allan Carrs book and I am thinking September may be a time to give it anothef whirl. Appreciate you sharing!

1 Like

Appreciate this share so much. I have a copy of the book and going to give it a shot. Love your mantra of NEVER GIVE UP! Thank you xo

1 Like

My whole motto is, Never give up, never surrender! It inspires and gives me a chuckle!

giphy

2 Likes

Yes TIM ALLEN!

2 Likes

GREAT movie! :movie_camera::popcorn::heart::clap:t3:

1 Like

Thanks all for sharing!

1 Like