Haven't made it past day 3

Day three was the hardest for me because I went through really bad withdrawals. I’m currently going on day eight of sobriety. I’m not going to lie, it’s been hard. My advice would be to make sure you stay busy and away from other drinkers. I wouldn’t watch too much television either because it’s too suggestive and enticing. At least it is for me. Know that you CAN do this: Beast Mode

I stopped drinking in 2015 for 9 months i started again and took me 4 yrs to get past day five…now day 66!just take it one day at a time they soon add up keep yourself busy today clean your house,go for a walk watch netflix good luck

6 Likes

I’m working on day 7, weekends are hard for me as I usually started at noon if not earlier if I could make bloody Mary’s or mimosas, yesterday I just kept busy. I shopped for groceries, played with my daughter, did my second day of lifts(haven’t done two consecutive days since August), read Allen Carr’s book(the whole thing) and played my new ps4 Spider-Man game.day three was rough for me it’s the day I went to my first aa meeting. It gets easier just take it one day/moment at a time, you got this!

2 Likes

Ive read that Alan Carr book back to front a dozen times. Love it. Such a good way to try and change how I view drinking.

We are sober twins by the way. Go team!

1 Like

loved that book! you just have to get through the beginning but then its so good!

1 Like

He Linzabeth, have you ever considered medication?
There are lots and work really well.
maybe just to help you get stable…

I cannot add any more medication on top of what I am already taking

1 Like

I understand and i dont know your situation.
but if medication could help you stop drinking its possible after a while you can stop lots of different medications.
do you have somebody irl to trust and that can support you?
i have the feeling that you are a very warm.giving person that takes care of a lot of people. is there someone taking care of you?
what would you need?
hang in there we are here for you

How you getting on @Linzabeth?

Solid words Dan!I
@Linzabeth it’s not going to work if you are just hoping. You have to have an open mind to try anything and everything! Yes god is mentioned a lot at AA. I’m not a religious person, but I do know and am open to the fact that there is a much higher power than myself at work in this universe.
If you really want to do this, you will try anything.
No matter how hard! Because it does get easier as you get stronger.
You may not think it now, while you’re struggling to get past 3 days. But believe me when I say that it will be the best thing you have done, if you change your mindset
I am no longer a drinker. I have accepted this :100:.
6 months ago when my wife asked if I could do a month sober, I laughed at her.:grinning:

2 Likes

The SSRI that I am on is a high dose for a severe generalized anxiety disorder. I am so soft, i live for taking care of my animals, my garden, my son, the people I love. But I do have people who support me and take care of me too. My life is good, it’s well balanced. And I have an addiction I need to conquer

I know you mean this supportively guys but it’s a bit stressful. I’d like to look at avenues other than AA

@Kipper just wrapped up day 3. First time since January.

2 Likes

Sorry didn’t think I was pushing AA. Just trying to help you appreciate what it’s could take! All the best, whichever way you do this :grinning:

1 Like

Yaaaas! Well done :clap:t3:

Just keep moving forward and keep on rising up! The help is out there although sometimes difficult to find. A mental health team can help you if you have access to them. Best of luck. I’m on day 10

Have you looked in to SMART, Celebrate Recovery, Refuge Recovery, Women For Sobriety or Mindfulness in Recovery? They are alternatives to AA that are pretty widely available as well.

Here’s where I “cracked the code” on sobriety: I quit focusing on days. I focused on drinks. I realized that it all comes down to saying “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink. If I say “no” to this one drink, there can’t be a second drink, or third, or eighth. There can’t be a blackout, or pass out. There can’t be moments I must apologize for, even though I can’t remember them.

Some say “one day at a time”. That never worked for me. I take it one drink at a time, and it has made all the difference, because this turns into days without drinks, and then months and years.

And all I must do is say “no” to one drink, and do it over and over, forever. I can say “no” to one drink, and you can too.

4 Likes