Having an anxiety attack

so i suffer from severe anxiety, i was diagnosed 3 years ago. but i used to get panic attacks once a week, and they slowly stopped and i hardly got them, maybe once a month. but last i had one again, and i’m having one right now. i was trying to read the school emails on how to do the supplemental work, last night and just now, but was interrupted by the anxiety attack, anytime i try to read the emails i get anxiety attacks and i don’t know why, it’s really frustrating cause then i start freaking out about not knowing the work and how to do it. usually, i get anxiety attacks at night, when i wake up from a nightmare, which happens often. my mom knows i get them, and she could help, but 1. shes in the shower rn, and 2, when i get anxiety attacks, i go nonverbal and can’t talk. right now i’m just surrounding myself with a soft blanket like i usually do, and rocking back and forth since that calms me down too, deep breaths never help during an anxiety attack, they help after, or right before, but for me once it started i can’t take deep breaths, so i kinda just wait it out. im really frustrated because i was doing so well and not having one and then all of a sudden my anxiety attacks are back.

3 Likes

Anxiety attacks are terribly debilitating.
One thing you can try is gently pressing down on your eyeballs. This can stimulate the vagus nerve, which in turn slows down your heart rate , relieving stress and lowering anxiety.
Couple this with deep, slow breathing techniques.
:+1:

1 Like

Just focus on the physical texture of the blanket, the warmth, the softness, and as your breathing returns, gently get into the rhythm of deep breaths.

2 Likes

I have found focusing deeply and doing this breathing can help me settle a bit during panic…

giphy

Thanks for all the help guys, the attack ended a little bit ago.

2 Likes

I use an app called Rootd, might wanna check it out. All the best to you, i know what it’s like to live with anxiety attacks :blush:

2 Likes

Never understood them until I had one. It was horrifying. I couldn’t get my dress off and boom, first panick attack. Once you have one you are likely to have more. Like you, I wake up from a dream with a panick attack, paired with an asthma attack. I try to count back from 25, sometimes I am stuck on the same number for several minutes. Rocking helps too. I am taking gabapentin for an untreatable back condition and it helps. I still get them but not as often. The most prescribed medication is Clonazepam, but if you have addiction issues I suggest you consult with your doctor. Panic attacks are debilitating and please drive carefully and exercise breathing. Try to distract yourself with anything. I feel for you. Take good care. I am here if you want to talk.
Much love.

2 Likes