He wasn't that bad

An old Irish joke.

The mourners are gathered around the dead man’s coffin.

“What did he die of?” one asks the widow.

“He died of the drink,” she says.

“Did he go to AA?”

“He wasn’t that bad.”

27 Likes

I don’t get it :laughing::laughing:

As funny as life is sometimes. It is a joke, but more of a humoristic approach to denial and enabling.

5 Likes

I thought it was clever.

3 Likes

Dont get it and sounds lame.

1 Like

I also don’t get it and I don’t find jokes about death funny sorry…

While not Irish, that was almost me but for the grace of God. The crazy part is that thanks to AA, I can laugh at that and the insanity that got me to that place now.

8 Likes

Irony.
Irony.
Irony.
(10 characters)

4 Likes

@Mephistopheles here ya go

I was that guy! I remember trying to get in to rehab and then when a bed came open I tried to not go to rehab

4 Likes

Funny to me too, laughing at myself.

I can so relate to that upside down place of, “Life is terrible!” “Have you tried a meeting/inpatient?” “Whoa, whoa, whoa, let’s not get carried away!” :rofl:

Lordy, I was such a stubborn drunk.

15 Likes

Lol @ “whoa whoa whoa, let’s not get carried away!” Omg…im stll chuckling picturing it!:joy:

8 Likes

Ha! Funny and so very true.
Love,
An Irish (reformed) drunk

3 Likes

Even after everything that happened to me and looking at everything i loved and valued in life being taken from me… when inpatient or IOP was brought up, I was like I would do annnnnyyyyything for sobriety, BUT I WON’T DO THAT.

Lucky for me the guy that 12 stepped me was an ass munch and told me I wouldn’t go to an AA meeting on my own. NO ONE PUTS GOAT IN A CORNER, I SHOWED HIM!!!

14 Likes

You had Meatloaf syndrome

3 Likes
2 Likes

If you notice, I never put the word “Joke” in the Topic header for a reason. I just put “He wasn’t that Bad”.

3 Likes

(This STILL makes me lol!) I’m at work and just did!:smile:

5 Likes

All I can say is WOW!! Sounds like you handled it really well though :+1: I am currently in Colorado for the holidays with my parents (I’m from California) and I’m reminded how thankful I am that I’m the only one who used to drink in my family :joy: Makes it a bit easier. I know I will have many obstacles going through the rest of the year, I just hope I can handle them as well as you did.

3 Likes

The Irish have a lot of irony in their humour…
There’s a few layers in here… That for an Irish bloke he really did’t drink that much (compared to some, consider the old days… Its an old joke) secondly that having to go to AA means he would have been a REAL alcoholic (though a drinker, she didn’t see him as such)… Then there is the Irish looking on the bright side… All is well in the world… Attitude… Could be worse… And then he pops his clogs and although it did him in, he STILL wasn’t an alcoholic… Its like the blind leading the blind sorta… No one saw it coming and everyone denies it anyway… Irony everywhere…

2 Likes