Heading to treatment

How do you tell your 15 and 12 year old this? What an embarrassment for them. Everyone will know. I’m so ashamed.

5 Likes

People are humans and make unhealthy choices and you are wanting to be the best version of you for you & them. There’s no shame.

5 Likes

Infact you are being vulnerable, brave and courageous. It takes a lot of competence to come forward and take responsibility for the unhealthy choices and habits. That is what all need to focus on.

6 Likes

I hear you feeling shame and I am sorry for that. In my opinion, tackling your problems head on and not hiding from them is admirable and an excellent example for your children. They should be proud of you for taking this positive step toward recovery. I see this as a teaching opportunity. Be honest and upfront and let them know you are working hard to get healthy and put all that crap behind you so you can be the best parent possible. We are all just humans doing the best we can where we are at right now.

You are doing the right thing. Be proud of yourself, because this takes guts. Put everything into your treatment and come out stronger and more purposeful. Show your kids how people can turn their life around.

You can do this! :heart:

15 Likes

You are doing the best thing possible for your family. Embarrassement will pass. Them getting the best version of their parent is the most important thing.

6 Likes

I just finished a rehab Monday after checking myself in voluntarily. It was a pretty good facility in my humble opinion. I was expecting the Therapist’s to give me the most help but surprisingly, the people in treatment with me taught me and humbled me the most.
If you love your kids, tell em. They know. Kids aren’t fools. Be open minded about this and do this for you and your children’s future. Learn and reflect as much as you can. Attend the commitments they hold, speak your mind… It helps so much and remember to read a lot.
I wish you nothing but the best my friend. You can do this… I just know you can. Much love, Capitan.

14 Likes

Beautiful advice! And congrats on your treatment!

2 Likes

You are human! Humans make mistakes. You going into treatment will show your kids that you admitted you had a problem and went to get better for yourself and them. You will be a better parent after you get help and they will love you for stopping before you couldn’t. Prayers

3 Likes

I don’t really know what to say. I think you’re being incredibly brave. I can imagine how hard it is because I have teenagers too. Cheering you on and wishing you all the best.

2 Likes

So beautifully said and written.

1 Like

Moms and dads are not infallible, we need help with all kinds of things. Zero embarrassment as far as I’m concerned.

4 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better! Wait til they see you when you get back home! Good luck and be strong!

1 Like

I appreciate everyone’s reply’s truly. I am getting ready to have a difficult conversation with my manager. I don’t know if I’ll lose my job. I just appreciate all of the understanding I’ve gotten from your responses. Thank you.

4 Likes

You’re making great choices for your future. Your future self and your kids thank you for making these hard decisions. Sending you hugs and well wishes.

[Removed by @System]

2 Likes

I was in treatment last summer for 33 days and the councilors there were good but I got way more from the people I was there with…it was kinda like a 33 day 24.7 NA meeting…

I went to rehab also and my kids were about the same age. It wasn’t like I was hiding my problem from them very well in the first place.
I understand why you are embarrassed but you should really be applauded. You have a problem that can be fixed and you are stepping up to fix it.

1 Like

I just want to provide an update and also thank you for your words of encouragement. My manager was awesome and assured I would still have a job coming back. I tell my kids today. My ex husband is very supportive. Needless to say I’ve had to have many hard discussions this week. I booked my flight for Tuesday. I can’t thank you all enough for your responses. I hope someday to be able to pay it forward.

8 Likes

Don’t drink today and you’re a winner. Get to bed sober, and everything’s gonna be alright.

1 Like

You are inspiring! Keep doing tough things and you will be golden!