Hello at Day Five

I wanted to introduce myself after I made it a few days to be sure it could stick first. Other than a 2 year period when I quit I have been a drinker almost every day of my adult life. My older son is a heavy drinker and my younger son does not want to touch a drop. I know I have influenced them both with their decisions. My wife has stuck by my side all these years despite what I have put her through. I have not attempted to quit in a long time. I feel like I am ready and there is an urgency to do this. I am glad to be here.

10 Likes

Welcome! This is a great first step to a sober life

1 Like

There is a real strong urgency to it I never want to forget that urgency until completely Clean

1 Like

Congrats and welcome! This group is amazingly supportive. I’m on Day 27. You’ve got this!

1 Like

Thanks all. I was feeling fine and thinking this isn’t so bad until I was hit by a migraine headache last night. :slight_smile: I know for me the hard part will be fighting the craving when I get blindsided by it. I am really trying to immerse myself with books and podcasts and reading the comments on this forum to change my mindset.

2 Likes

Welcome and congrats as well, keeping yourself immersed in other stuff will definitely help when you recognize a craving try redirecting it towards something else or positive. that was tough for me being I’m a huge sports fan and NASCAR fan this is the first time in 14 years I’ve watched any sports sober being every other commercial is an alcohol commercial when I got cravings I used the “play the tape” method. Any other cravings I’ll change what I’m doing go on walks think them through its hard but you can do it,there are great people to talk to here to help your never alone

Thanks! I just googled “play the tape” and will add it to my toolkit. :slight_smile: It is funny how you notice all the alcohol advertising more when you are not drinking, I have definitely noticed it this past week.

2 Likes

What helped me is to make myself a sober plan. I wrote down practical tips for myself to help me stay sober. I put it here so you can see what I mean. Maybe there are things in it wich can help you too?

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

Today is my 252 day sober, if I can you can! :facepunch:

3 Likes

Welcome. Best move you have made. Stick around and see what people have done! Ask questions. It’s hard at first, but does get easier to say no. Start thinking of yourself as a non drinker.

4 Likes

Hi there, nice to see you hear, I’m working on day 5 and feel your pain, constant headache since I quit, keeping strong though and sending you positive vibes to do the same xx

1 Like

Thank you! There are some neat ideas here. I just told my family, they are sort of cautiously optimistic, taking a wait and see attitude. :slight_smile: I appreciate you sharing this!

1 Like

Back at you! You are right, if all of these nice people on this forum are doing it…why not us??? Best back at you, we will be walking this journey together.

1 Like

Definitely!! We will and I couldn’t be more honoured :blush:

1 Like

Irish Catholic still in Ireland wishing you well :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

You as well! :slight_smile: I dated a girl from Ireland when I was 20 for the summer. She and a bunch of kids came over to work. She told me “in Ireland when we have parties we sing and dance and have a good time. In America when you have a party everybody just sits around a keg and drinks.” It was hard for me to argue the point. :slight_smile: