Hello darkness my old friend (it’s a saga)

So I went to a going away party last night. Wait before you get ready to condemn me. It was for the couple that heads up our sober living facility. It’s pretty rare that a town my size in rural Kansas would even have sober living as an option, I was skeptical of it when I first heard about it. But watching different friends stumble into the rooms I’ve changed my mind on the whole thing. It’s a divine thing to have this resource available for people. Okay that’s the prelude I have to share quite a bit of my story so it will be a little bit of a read. So 4 years ago my ex had enough of my shit and we separated. My addiction was already running my show but after the separation it went crazy. Life got out of control. Along with my addiction to alcohol I was so gripped with depression my life hurt. Now I have to give you a little about my life at this point. I had everything I should want. Beautiful person as my soulmate. Two kids I adored. A business that was going good, it was very very time consuming though. Friends everywhere I looked. I was involved in my church. Attended regularly and held a couple of service positions. To the world it looked like I was fine but just below the surface I was dying inside. I am blessed with a church that is very progressive with supplying various resources for the congregation. So one Sunday morning probably close to 5 years ago a traveling musical ministry played for our late services. It was a couple that travels the country mostly playing for Celebrate Recovery and I loved the voice. But I wasn’t ready for the message the music was speaking. But I have to share one song was specific to suicide. Little did I know this song would be such a part of my life in a year. So back to post separation. I was all alone in my house and I swam in the bottle. Nobody was around to stop me and if they tried I chased them away. So yeah my world was crashing and I was depressed. I couldn’t find away from my pain in my soul. I wanted life to end. And I’m not going to sugar coat it here. I tried to end my suffering but God stepped in and I didn’t get accomplished what I thought I wanted. So that was roughly 4 years ago. I spent another year not caring if I woke up in the morning. I didn’t want to live but I couldn’t try it again. I tried to get drunk enough to give it another try so many times but never could. So far this year I was drinking as heavily as I possibly could and still function (yeah right). But close to every night I was playing that traveling couples song about suicide. Well at the rate I was drinking my body decided to fight back and blessed me with pancreatitis. So now I’m an addict that can’t face life and drinking fucking hurt. I was so screwed. For this year in here I tried to just be sober. It wasn’t my first time to do this but now every time I drank it caused me pain, extreme nausea and instant shakes. So in this year I drank only 2 times and each were terrible. One was a 5 day bender the other started Christmas Eve morning so I could just take the edge off right🙄. This Christmas Eve disaster would be my saving grace. I got blackout drunk (I didn’t have these ever) and for whatever reason I needed to go for a drive. Well that ended as expected. I got sober when I got stopped for DUI. As I sat in that holding cell sobering up. All this during a holiday season so I had a few days in holding. And I was approached by someone about inpatient rehab. At this point I was broken I thought I was beyond help and was going to die a drunk. But I agreed to inpatient treatment and it started my life into recovery. So right now as I type this my counter should say 480 days so 16 months of recovery and my life is blessed. I accept what I have and what I lost. But this is where last night comes into play. So the couple that played at church 5 years ago, well they got convinced to head up a sober living housing here in town. Last was a going away party for them as they miss California and are returning to there home. And I wanted to show up to tell them thank you for helping so many of my new friends. It was a pathetic showing by our community. I was the only one that was there outside of the program completely (I visit a couple of the men there often though). The other two outsiders were one of the board members and the pastor of my church that started this all. The rest were the people that live there. So in all this time of them being in town I never told them that their one song saved my life on so many nights. Last night I had to say thank you and that started a conversation. It was towards the end of the evening so I wanted to let the residents to have special time with them and I left just a little early. As I walked out to my car shit started to brew in me. Emotions, fucking painful ones of that dark place I once lived in overwhelmed me. The irony here is I was just leaving a recovery situation and now here I am fucked. So I drove around the perimeter of town put that song on the radio and tears rolled again. I don’t ever cry but I cried like a little bitch. I was getting lost in my own head and was just letting it happen for a few minutes. Then my recovery took the wheel I debated going back up there to a couple of friends to vent to but decided they needed that. So I grabbed my phone and sent two texts out asking for an ear. Within a few minutes I was one the phone talking through my pain, guilt, and shame (again for most that know me). It didn’t take but a minutes and I found stable ground. But in that little bit of time I was trying to deal with it alone I was already driving by the liquor store, intentionally or not it was the fact I was right beside it. I can’t do this crap alone I need my resources to keep me from destroying my life. I’m grateful I have made so many friends in this recovery life. I didn’t need them to save me I needed them to allow me to get my toxic thoughts out so I could save myself. Remember this is 16 months into recovery. So at the begging of this doing it on your own might be to much. I have fully embraced the 12 steps and the lifestyle and I was so fortunate last night I had friends available to help me.
I’m sorry it’s such a long read guys! God bless you all and thank you for being here for me last night too. When I came home I got on here and played for atleast an hour to get my head even better.

Edit I told this entire story about one song that is part of my life I ought to share the song.

19 Likes

Thanks for sharing. It’s truly amazing what we can accomplish, especially with some amazing ears and support. I find I’m learning so much about myself, thus process, the reasons and the future I want the more I talk about it. Glad youre doing SO much better now, you’re an inspiration! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First, hugs I said this last night… But knowing more I am really glad to see you on the other side. I know those feelings all too well and having the feelings hit you after having been receded for so long turned them into a tsunami at what should have been a celebratory moment.

People have said in my meetings… It’s never the thing that you can plan for that can take you out… It’s the small insidious thing that somehow finds the chink in our armour and knows right where to make the kill.

As you highlighted, it’s why we cannot do it alone. Left to our own devices, our thinking got us here and probably won’t save us. We need others that we can reach out to in order to remove the poison at these tines.

Again… So glad to see you on the other side man.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so glad you are here and sober. :heartpulse:

3 Likes

I hope everyone here can read this story bc it will help a lot of people. I’m glad you posted this. Thank you.

4 Likes

Shit man, that was powerful! Here’s the scene…I’m sitting on my porch, wrapped in a blanket. I am doing my morning meditation and my 10th stepping like I do every morning (I know I’m supposed to do it at the end of the day but I choose to start my day with my 10th step) And oh yeah, there are tears in my eyes.

I have never heard so much of your story man. Now More than ever, “im glad you’re here”. I’m sorry I wasn’t around last night to talk to you on here. But it sounds like The Group of Drunks was so I’m am happy for that.

Thank you for the example of the program working in our lives. Talking to another alcoholic is a cornerstone in this whole deal. Cuz like the Goat said, left to our own devices, we are doomed. It is crucial we get the fuck out of self in these moments of self doubt or pain. We HAVE to get out of our own heads!!

So thank you for sharing Brother. Your story touched me this morning so out of love and respect for u I listened to your song. And holy crap man, the goosebumps started imedeatly… Then the tears came. Like real tears rolling down my face. That doesn’t happen often but this song just encompassed your story man!

Toward the end of the song I got a mental image of you in your car with tears of your own, belting out this song! That made me laugh cuz well, I’m sick like that😉 Then the last verse came and I could do nothing but feel the hope. And it made me smile.

"Life ain’t perfect
But it’s worth knowin
If you’re still breathing
There’s a reason why "

4 Likes

Man thank you. Thanks for being so transparent and sharing your story. Like @Gabe.G, I’m sitting here in my livingroom with tears in my eyes. Powerful song too. Man the mercy of God is overwhelming to me sometimes! How he just reached in to your life (and mine and so many others) and snatched us out of our living hell…its amazing to me. I’m so grateful. Thank you for sharing. So glad you made it to the other side of that darkness! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you all for every bit of your support. This board is such a special place! And I guess the reason I share things like this is I don’t want someone to hurt the way I did. I love the saying God wastes no hurt. My hurts now can be shared. Okay and I think the messed up side of my brain actually likes a little pain still?? Because I have listened to that song a few times just to touch that nerve?? I’m a sick man. But I love you all as well. You are part of my recovery family.

1 Like

I have a song that I have listened to recently over and over that strikes a similar nerve…we are sick people, but sometimes a good cry just hits the spot.

1 Like

I don’t know why I want that nerve teased. It’s almost masochistic in nature. And I’m pretty anti pain but just teasing it welllll. So are you ready to share your song?

not sure how to post the video but here’s the link. Its satisfyingly sad.
How Could You Leave Us https://g.co/kgs/PhyVjF

1 Like

I don’t click links often but this subject is interesting for me. I’m going to listen to it. Thank you for sharing

warning might be triggering for some

That’s a powerful song. Makes us see the other side of our addiction. And yep that’s a hard truth. Okay I believe the last time I had tears in my eyes was my one year anniversary at rehab. I took my family up on stage and the brief words my daughter spoke was about the direction I was heading I wasn’t going to be there to walk her down the isle. It’s painful to look at that reflection.

2 Likes

It is. But sometimes necessary. I imagine super hard to hear something like that from your kid. Shit.
That song hit close to home for me as a mother addicted to pills and alcohol but also recently losing my cousin to a heroin overdose and thinking of his kids. But that’s real life man

2 Likes

It is life for us! We can’t shut the door on our past either. I’m so glad we don’t have to live in that hell anymore.

1 Like

Word! Pahreach brotha.

1 Like

Man, no worries about how long that was. That was powerful, and it really spoke to me, so much of ur story sounded like ud been watching my life and writing about me! The suicide attempt, the depression, and the pancreatitis omg, the pain right?? That alone should have been enough for us to put down the bottle but it wasn’t for me either, I’ve put myself in the hospital 3 times in the last 4 years and I still clearly remember thinking how bad it was that the only time I had any relief from that intense pain was when I got nauseous enough to spend 10 minutes hovering over a toilet puking up yellow bile. Thank you so much for sharing that man!!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. `(∩_∩)′ Your story spoke to me.

2 Likes