Hello everyone I’m trying to work it all out

I’ve been sober for 43 days and am starting to struggle to keep on track.
I’ve been using alcohol to suppress my PTSD trauma for most of my life and have become addicted. I need to stop to save myself and my family.

14 Likes

You’re in the right place. Read around and ask any questions you want. There is loads of advice and help and support on here if you want it and advice on different types of recovery programs. If you’ve managed 42 don’t give up you’re doing amazing and deserve to have a sober life

5 Likes

Welcome! Good job reaching out this is a safe place!!!

4 Likes

Thank you :blush: I really don’t know how to navigate around this forum. But knowing there’s others “out there” to share this journey with is amazing :blush::pray: Sometimes I feel like I’m doing all of this on my own!!!

3 Likes

Welcome! Here are a few things that help me when I’m struggling:

1. Make a list of the pros and cons of drinking.
  2. Go for a walk.
  3. Read stories on here or go right to the meme thread and laugh.
  4. Go to an AA meeting either in person or online.

Congrats on 43 days. We’re all here rooting for you. Stay strong!

6 Likes

Hi Lisa, sorry to be a complete novice, but what’s a meme thread?

3 Likes

Welcome. Glad you reached out for support. This place has helped me stay sober.

We dont have to do this alone.

I used alcohol to numb emotional pain and trauma until it quit working and caused me more pain and trauma.

2 Likes

You’re definitely not on your own here at all and you’ll soon learn to navigate. Doesn’t matter if you’re 1 day sober or 10 years sober this place has something for everyone but read loads of posts or search if there is something in particular you are looking for or just post telling us how you’re feeling or asking any question you want. Best of luck :blush:

3 Likes

Here’s the link. Check it out, it’s pretty funny and takes your mind off drinking.
Meme Wars 34…35…36…GO! (Non-political)

3 Likes

I’m 24 days and it’s still a struggle. I sit in my house day in and day out. I’m disabled so going for a walk tires me out. Plus its getting cold and I do not like the cold. Kerp at it though.

3 Likes

The main thing is you’re sober. I understand being stuck at home must be awful but you can reach out to us anytime at all. There is also a Facebook group called “the alcohol experiment “ that you might find you get support from . Sending you love and virtual hugs xx

1 Like

Hi, @MAW, glad you are here.

1 Like

24 days is still really good. You’re over the worst bit :+1: Just keep reminding yourself of the all the positives that life brings without shitty alcohol in your system and the horrible guild that comes with it!!
I’m always procrastinating about drinking, but I know if I did drink It would be BLOODY MISERABLE and it just Ain’t worth it.
Stay strong Linda :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

1 Like

I have PTSD as well. I know what it’s like to search for what seems like easy solutions that really don’t solve anything. This struggle will be worth it.

I’m sure you’re tired of hearing it, but they’ve made a lot of progress with therapy specifically for PTSD. Have you heard of EMDR therapy?

1 Like

Thank you for the info. :+1:
I’m seeing a therapist to help me understand how to live with my issues and learning how to control my emotions when I get “triggered” :pray:

I hope you are also learning how to live with your PTSD and know that you can have a wonderful life without the constant noise in your head :blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like