Hello from Canada

Hi,

I’m 52 and I’ve been drinking since I was about 17. Used to be a lot as a young adult, now I’m just steadily drinking. I’m what they call high functioning I think, ie I have a wife, kid, house, car and I run a business. I need to stop drinking because I’m just done with it, the hangovers, the blackouts and embarrassing situations. Plus I don’t want my 13 year old seeing booze all the time, even if I’m well behaved. It’s not as easy to leave behind as it should be. My wife and I both drink daily, I drink about between 200 to 300 ml of whiskey every day, sometimes miss a day. I hope this is the time that it’s sticks.

16 Likes

:wave: welcome to TS from the US.

2 Likes

Welcome to TS, We all here to support you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome friend… great to have you here with us. This is a wonderful supportive community to be a part of. Excellent first step in your sober journey as we are not able to do this journey alone

The beginning is hard so prepare yourself with things to keep you busy, stay away from triggers (if possible), have support to lean on, have loads of non alcoholic drinks on hand as a good substitute (I enjoy la Croix ).

Just push through the cravings and your body/ mind will thank you for it. We are here to support you and cheer you on. Take time to read around and join in when you like :people_hugging:

3 Likes

Welcome. If you want to quit drinking this is the place to be.

2 Likes

What is “it”? What is going to stick? Are you ready to take action? Go to AA, go to counseling, get on Antabuse, go to rehab, go back to church, to do something that will grow your sobriety? If you are willing, what will “it” be?

Here’s what has worked for us on Talking Sober.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m also 52, started drinking at age 15. Also functioning, whatever that means though…. Similar amount, 2-3 liters of beer, what probably translates to 2-300 ml of whiskey.

Now I am sober since 30 days. No hangovers. I remember everything. Much more energy. Sleep is better. Life is clearer. But I still have a lot of work ahead of me.

The support and inspiration here in the forum is of tremendous help.

It helped me to make a plan for cravings. Go for a walk. Make sports. Wash the car. Something with physical activity usually. Or a Sudoku that fills my brain to capacity. For me after 30 Minutes cravings usually subsided. I did clearly avoid trigger situations and have absolutely zero alcohol at home. And I remind myself that one drink is never enough for me, never was. So I do not have that first one. One day after the other.

5 Likes

Welcome, @Wendigo from a fellow Canadian. Thank you for sharing your story.
I’m so happy that you found this place, and are starting a great journey. I’m sure, as you know, your health, and wallet will thank you, and likely your family. :+1:t2:

1 Like

I’m not going to AA or a doctor. In Canada that would follow you on file forever. “It” is quitting alcohol cold turkey in case that wasn’t clear.

2 Likes

Welcome @Wendigo :wave: nice to meet you! Also from Canada here.

It sounds like you’re trying to keep your addiction a secret, is that right?

I remember in my 20s and 30s I tried for years and years and years to keep my ADHD a secret. I tried everything under the sun, hoping that if I just tried harder, if I just put in more effort, I would “figure out” how to be on top of it. It wasn’t until I spoke with my doctor and was willing to follow her advice that things started to turn around. Life isn’t perfect now, but it is sure as heck better than it used to be :innocent:

Welcome to Talking Sober!

2 Likes

Wow. That’s bad if an “anonymous” discussion group follows you on file. Kind of defies the purpose of having something anonymous. Just saying. Odd.

But anyway, I wish you the best. I totally understand the “functioning” part and I totally get it works. Until it does not. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

3 Likes

Hi,
I’m 4 weeks sober today. 44yrs, drinking since 14. It’s been a hard start but life is totally different now. I’m still tired and emotional but a different kind to the wine induced kind, a natural kind. I love my early mornings. I check in here everyday. When im down i post and someone out there will always talk back. Just log on and let spill. Podcast Recovery Elevator has been such a help to me. The very best of luck.

3 Likes

I’m uncertain that would “follow you” at all. I am in much the same scenario as you albeit a couple years older and son is 20 now.
I’m a Canadian kid lived in both coasts… started at 15, now 57…

Haven’t done AA, though I don’t discourage nor any other support networks. Haven’t needed a doc’s help but would have had I needed.

I’m about 256 days I think now and just saying being anonymous isn’t necessary. Retired a couple years ago but am back to work after last job was 27 years… no one looks down at a person improving themselves and getting control of a healthier lifestyle is what I have found… more drunks around that would be in a lot of trouble if society worked that way…

Drop me a line anytime if you wish to chat on anything. But dropping the fear is a good first step of getting clean.

Best man

5 Likes

Hangovers were a big reason I stopped drinking. That, and feeling like a terrible example to my sons.

I tried moderation for a while and that was a huge fail. One is never enough.

Now I wake up without a pounding headache and without shame/disappointment. It’s a great feeling and I think a good example for my kids.

One day at a time is all you need to do…see where that takes you!

5 Likes

I tried to moderate the last 3 years. Had less drinking days, yet as soon as I had a drink it was over for that day. So I spent every weekend drunk. Was scared from the thought to never drink alcohol again. Now the focus changed to just not drink today. That makes it much easier. It is just one day.

A little bit of reflection is also helpful. I answered the questions in the app as honestly as I could. The forum here is of great help too, because you realize you are not the only one. I don‘t know, if AA is for me. Will go on on my path without it for now. If I struggle I might give it a try. All I want is to not drink today.