Hello from the united kingdom

Hi everyone. I have been so ashamed of my drinking and behaviour. 3 days ago I drank so much I was told by my wife that I was vile and hurtful to her. I still have no recollection of that night. I am so tired of hangovers and feeling ashamed. I love my family more than I love alcohol. I have to be honest and admit that I scared of where I am. I tend to binge drink and I also drink very quickly. I am taking each day as it comes and reading a lot into tackling alcohol problems.

5 Likes

Similar story mate. I’m from the UK too. Stay on this forum, get sober and stay strong

6 Likes

Hey @Stephen_Johnson welcome to the community. I’m sorry you have been finding things difficult.

I was a serial binge drinking lunatic, once I got the taste I was a savage downing drinks and it often ended in disaster, hurting those closest to me and left me feeling full of guilt, shame and remorse.

431 days ago I decided to change my life, it’s been hard work at times but the prize of sobriety is definitely worth it.

Below are a few tips which I used to get me here today, I haven’t mastered it, I never will and will always consider myself a work in progress but getting better.

If you avoid the first drink you can not get drunk.
Take it easy, a day at a time, just stay sober today, deal with tomorrow tomorrow.
You are getting sober for you, others will benefit from your sobriety, but it’s for you, don’t forget that.
Change your thinking about alcohol, stop using the words associated with it, instead of saying I don’t want to drink, tell yourself you want to be sober. Using positive words and thoughts is key to success.
Avoid people places and things you associate with alcohol for now, they will only create challenges which you don’t need right now.
Find new hobbies and make plans which you have to be sober for at times when you’d normally drink.
Get to the gym or a fitness class if you can.
Get plenty of rest along with your exercise, it’s important to look after yourself.
If you are open to the idea, try a support group, we have lots of AA groups in the UK or you might have a SMART recovery group near you.

You’ll find lots of advice on here, feel free to ask anything and we’ll all try and help.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

9 Likes

Thanks for the messages! I am going to the gym again and also learning to meditate. My wife drinks but I am going to be the driver in the short term.

4 Likes

Also from the UK also a serial binge drinker with a dark Jekyll and Hyde personality. I see you mentioned meditation and the gym. This is what keeps me motivated. Would I rather a) wake up with a stinking hangover, feel really ill, guilty and ashamed or b) wake up feeling fresh, healthy and have a great endorphin rush from a hard workout?

As others have said, stick around here, it’s a great tool for keeping on the straight and narrow.

1 Like

:wave: also from the UK. To repeat what’s been said above, it’s about looking at things differently. Being sober is a huge opportunity to do so many more things that have always been out of reach under the haze of alcohol.

Am only just over 2 months in, expecting it to be tough as time goes on but it’s also exciting. I’m not a gym person but I have been doing more fitness stuff like walking and tennis. My wellbeing has definitely improved, not just because no hangovers etc but I have done some genuine self reflection as a result of getting sober. That will be an ongoing process with its own ups and downs.

Now is the time to do the things you’ve always wondered about but never had the time/energy/money to do!

1 Like

Whilst your wife/friends might drink I’d strongly recommend avoiding drinking environments until you are sure you’ll be comfortable in them if you are serious about getting sober, otherwise resentments might build up which can be challenging to overcome.

Now I am happily the designated driver as I’m comfortable in sobriety, but in the early days it would have been Russian roulette.

If you are trying meditation I find the honest guys and Jason Stephenson on YouTube very helpful.

2 Likes