Help/advice for day 1

So all it seems I do these days is post every now and then about relapsing! I did 8 months sober but started drinking again in May on holiday. Since then I’ll have 2 days drinking heavily followed by a few off and so forth. I had 4/5 days off but then for the past 6 days I’ve drunk every day, between a bottle and a half of wine and 2 bottles. Yesterday I had 1.5 bottles. I am desperate to get off this merry go round, I’m anxious and depressed and ready to stop. Will I be ok going cold turkey and just quitting? When I stopped last august I had horrible withdrawals but then I had been drinking heavily every day for years. I’m not sure whether it would be better to taper or whether I’m just being paranoid because of my experience quitting last year?

10 Likes

You can do it cold turkey. But if you are really worries then I would do it professionally and go to a detox center. Tapering is just your mind trying to trick you Into having drinks. I had Over a year of sobriety and just relapsed for the last 2 months of drinking everyday plus doing meth. I quit cold turkey and just drank lots of water and slept alot. But everyone’s recovery is different, some ppl withdrawal harder then others.

6 Likes

Hey Lizzie.
I don’t know about tapering off. Sounds like the addict brain making excuses for you. I think we just have to quit. But I have heard stories about people needing to detox from alcohol. I wasn’t one of them. And I drank a shitload.
Do you work a program? It sounds like you could use some help stopping. Quit drinking and find a meeting. Speak from your heart. We are all here too if you use us. But you got to use us for support before you pick up. Plenty of great people here to help you out before you pick up. Addiction is a real bitch. We all need help.
:pray:t2::heart:

6 Likes

Yep. Just quit. It’ll suck for a few days but then it’ll get so much better. And when it sucks reach out here or to a community by you who knows what you’re going through. Make sure you’re busy and have a plan for when cravings come. You can so do this. Power through you’re so much stronger than you think!!

4 Likes

What were your withdrawal symptoms before?

1 Like

Just really bad anxiety, agitation and shakes. Nothing terrible like seizures. And yes you’re right, itll suck. I just need to put my big girl pants on and go for it!

6 Likes

I had anxiety and panic attacks when I was detoxing. It took about 2 days to get over the worst of it. I looked up deep breathing exercises and that helped me get through the panic moments. All the feelings and withdrawals pass. They don’t last forever. You’ll make it through. Stay busy and distracted. Binge watching something on TV. The obsession and desperation will fade I promise!!

4 Likes

Every sober morning I’ve had I start it off on the gratitude thread here. 554 mornings in a row. I grateful for starting every day sober and hangover free. I’m grateful for my coffee. I’m grateful for this forum. Gratitude has been key in my sobriety. I got so much to be grateful for every day I don’t drink. And it’s a great foundation to start your day. Write down at least 10 things you grateful for each morning. Share it with us on the Daily Gratitude List #2 it’s working for a lot of us. Or just read what everyone else is grateful for. Try something different. Apparently what your doing isn’t working well. Didn’t mean to be harsh there.

5 Likes

Hey Jenn. I use the Breethe app on my phone. It’s great for all kinds of meditations. Anxiety. Stress. Addiction. Sleep. Tons of topics. All different lengths too. If you only got 5 minutes for a quick guided meditation they have it. 30 minutes for a great relaxing guided meditation they got plenty. There’s plenty of other guided meditation apps for your phone these days.

2 Likes

You are in my prayers. My advice is quit. You may have some withdrawal symptoms. We all did. Plug into as many meetings as you can. I would sometimes do 4 to 5 meetings a day. Find a sponsor. I will add you to my prayer list. You can do this. :heart::heart::+1:t2::pray::pray:

2 Likes

Hey, yeah that merry go Rd is not fun is it, you can however stop the ride and exit… My aniexty is bringing me down today, but my determnation for my recovery is stronger, I sit uncomfortable, I can’t sleep, my thinking is all over the place, so I got my ass up and out the door I went for a walk played walking meditations trted to get out my own head even just for awhile, if we sit and dwell on how shit things are we will be a product of our daseise, unfortunately you have to go through not over the aniexty and shakes, why don’t to call your local drug and alcohol services they can put you in touch with so much information, at some point we have to take charge and hold our selves accountable. I really wish you the best with getting off this merry go Rd :pray:

5 Likes

Very pleased to say I decided tapering was a stupid idea, why prolong it and didnt touch any booze last night. Yesterday was pretty rough but I feel a million times better today. Still shaky anxious and a little weird but much better. Thanks everyone :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I just woke up one day and decided that I was sick of being sick. Not physically sick… but emotionally spiritually mentally just completely broke down and I haven’t had a drink since and the withdrawal honestly was very low. Some shakes from time to time but in the end very much worth it.

5 Likes

That’s excellent news! Now for a tough question. What are going to do, beyond trying to not drink, to stay sober? Whatever you have been doing is clearly not working. What have you been holding back, for when " it really gets bad"? AA meetings, detox or rehab? Counseling, medication?

You don’t have to keep putting yourself through this hell. There are ways many of us have gotten and stayed happily sober for one day, a week, months, years. Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

3 Likes

You can stop cold turkey, drink lots and lots of water. If your worried about the withdrawals, try to find meetings to attend. They have some AA meetings that you can attend online from the comfort of your home. They help ALOT. Try keeping busy so that you don’t think about drinking. It’s always good to talk to someone if you need to. You got this, progress not perfection. One day at a time

2 Likes

I was going to comment on your original post, but saw this update so I’ll just say that I think you made a good choice. Hang in there and it will get better. You’ve been here before and you know that it won’t last forever.

I felt compelled to reply to this topic because I have relapsed quite a few times, to the point of withdrawal. Withdrawal for me is intense because I vomit like crazy, have a sour stomach, can’t hold anything down along with the shakes, the sweats, the insomnia, it’s horrible, BUT! i’ve managed thankfully at home without needing to go to the ER like in the past. I usually feel super sick for about two days until the third day, taking small sips of water, gatorade are essential since you are most likely dehydrated. Going cold turkey is hard, but it is currently working for me, I wish you the best on your journey! stay strong! :heart:

2 Likes

Have you seen your primary care doctor yet? I would have an honest and long discussion with him/her about this.

4 Likes