Help make some sense of all this

I am not new to trying sobriety! I have been on this app off and on. I relapsed recently . I think it would help to start making some sense of why I do what I do? I am a few hours sober this morning and the usual panic, sweats, and extreme anxiety. I dont want to drink right now so I am ok for today. Can anyone help me make sense of why I feel depressed when I stop drinking . I am always happy but as soon as I start my first day of sobriety I feel super sad. I know this sounds like a dumb question! But if it makes sense to me then I will stop panicking. Few hours in , stressing. Thanks for your input friends

Alcohol stimulates the pleasure of the brain. When you take it away our dopamine levels decrease, often causing feelings of depression and anxiety. It takes a week or two to get back to baseline.

3 Likes

Hm, do you do it on your own or do you go to a Dr. to let him/her help you with getting clean? Or did you try AA? I know it’s not for everyone but it could help you getting through the first weeks/months ?

2 Likes

Thank you, that helps to be reassured. I feel like just drinking one drink would help me get through the day and then taper off tonight.
But I know that’s b.s!! I have good angel /devil on shoulders right now.

I go to AA. I have also went to a doctor he prescribed medication and sent me on my way. I havent been to a meeting in almost a year now. I’m looking for one today since I am off.

1 Like

That is good. Did you get your blood checked? Us alcoholics often need more vitamins than healthy ppl do.

Yes I was low in vit. D and b1. Signs of fatty liver. He prescribed camprol. It didn’t seem to help.
I’m back where I started . I had reset this morning. I’m due for my yearly check up again. Thanks for your advice today. It all helps

1 Like

As someone who constantly struggles with being depressed, at least for me, I’ve learned, I feel low because I am sober, nothing is no longer numb, I have to feel my emotions that were buried for so long. I’m newly sober so it has been hard to find a new coping mechanism besides writing music which even has completely changed in the last 3 weeks. Hang in there!

@Fireball - you need to give the camprol time to get in your system and build up. Even if you feel like it’s not working, keep taking it. You can do this - aren’t you tired of being sick and tired? I know I was. I’m on day 13 and I am FINALLY letting go because I’m tired of being dragged. (I’ve been drinking for 30 years, rehabs, sober time - but the switch finally flicked…) Stay strong!

1 Like

You get depressed and anxious for the same reason you get at ease and happy when you’re on your way to pick up a bottle/beer.

I would be impatient, mean and unhappy the last few hours of work. Then when I got back to the yard, I knew I had some in the car waiting for me. I knew it was about to happen, so I was already predrunk. We’ve trained ourselves to be happy and at ease when we are about to get what we want. Takes a lot of work to retrain that ingrained habit.

1 Like

I work alot and that keeps me busy. That’s helps like your music does. It’s just my days off or when I get home from work.
I am actively seeking out a new fun hobby. Thanks for your advice. Stay strong

Love this. Very helpful words to me right now thank you. If it somewhat makes sense and I hear it from someone else it definitely keeps me strong for the first week. Until my mind is less crazy

I did not know that. I still have a huge bottle left , I will restart that today and give it a longer try . I’m glad I know it can work

1 Like

Congratulations on your 13 days! That’s awesome. I will be there soon too. I will get through this day off even if I feel insane. No booze

2 Likes

I use to work alot myself, roughly 85 hours a week. However I left my part time job to further pursue my actual career. The downside, is it’s such an emotional toll watching people die daily. So working more than mandatory is out of the question for me. But I know what you mean, I work 3rd shift so most nights I’m off, no one is awake to keep my attention away from all of my thoughts.

1 Like