Help Me - Advice on Getting Sober

Im 22 years old turning 23 in just 2 months. Last night I had probably 5 Long island’s and 7 beers and that’s not an uncommon night for me. I desperately want to quit and am starting my journey today. I’m scared for these withdraws. The longest I went without drinking since I was 18 was a total of 17 days and that was a few months ago. My body can’t take this anymore and I’m so sick and tired of being sick and tired. Any advice on things that helped you when getting sober? People don’t understand what detoxing is like. It’s so hard to get through the work day. I just don’t know what to do anymore and I can’t afford to take a month off work to go to a rehab. Any and all advice welcome, thanks.

1 Like

Welcome!

Congrats on deciding to quit drinking, that was the single most important decision I’ve made.

I guess the first piece of advice is to understand the difference between hangover and withdrawals, especially if you’ve “cured” hangovers by drinking more, or hair of the dog as they call it. The distinction should keep your mind at ease.

Next, settle in and plan for a 2 or 3 day hangover. Hydrate, rest and eat well if you can. These are most important things you can do.

Beyond day 3, think about a program. AA is free and the only requirement for membership is the desire to quit drinking.

Hang out here, read threads, search for questions you may have, ask questions if you’re unable to find the answer.

And lastly, just don’t drink! It’s that simple.

Welcome, glad you’re here.

5 Likes