Help needed for my sober quest

Hello everybody,

I am looking for support, tips, help and whatever i need to get sober.

Drinking alcohol has always been a part of my life, start from 15 years old drinking in the weekend till my late 20s drinking 3 or 4 days a week. Since my 30s I drink almost every day. sometimes even before or during work. I work in a realy bussy restaurantā€¦So Iam serrounded with Alcohol and drinking people all day.
After i have my first drinkā€¦ I cant stopā€¦Till i fall asleepā€¦:confounded::face_vomiting::nauseated_face:

This al probably sounds famillar to must of you. Iam not here to talk about the excusse why i drink, Iam here to talk about my new life, my sober life!

Iam one and a half day sober now and Iam feeling ok.

Also planing to visit AA meetings.

More tips and tricks are welcome!

Hope to find some help here and meet lovely sober people.

Have a nice sober day.

Greetrings from A cold And Windy Holland

:raised_hands::v::heart::kissing_heart:

13 Likes

Welcome!

There are lots of good suggestions in this thread:

Hope you stick around! There is excellent information if you spend some time reading through the different threads :muscle:

2 Likes

Hey and welcome and good luck in your sober journey the above thread is great.
Id also write down pros and cons for drinking for you (tend to get more cons than pros!) As something to look back on.
Aa meetings are great and for support!
It wont be easy its a tough journey but a rewarding one!

4 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober, friend. You sound like a person with a strong determination to stay sober. Iā€™m sure you will receive much support from this forum. You have some fellow countrymen here, too!

When I got sober, I started doing certain things to begin my day in sobriety and then keep me concentrated on abstinence.

• Medication and honest cooperation with my physician. I found that using disulfiram (in the US itā€™s sold as Antabuse) and taking it first thing in the morning gave me the confidence of removing alcohol as an option for that day.
  • AA meetings. These provided fellowship and social connection, and a structure for increased sober thinking and attitudes. You have said you do not want to replay your excuses for drinking, the AA program helped me get past that level, to deal with causes of my drinking sickness.
  • Group therapy, in an intensive program of several hours per day, 2-3 days per week.
  • Individual counseling.
  • Daily prayer (just ā€˜Thanks for helping me stay sober. Please help me again today. Please show me the right things to do today.ā€™), meditation, and writing in a journal. I did these, and do them today, first thing in the morning, to get my day on the right track.

It may seem like a lot. But I had to be 100% committed to abstinence. I was under threat of being jailed and after 5 months was sentenced to a short time in jail and 3 years of house arrest and parole.

Drinking almost killed me. It definitely robbed me of my soul, my connection to the rest of the human race. If I return to drinking now, it will kill me, no doubt.

Blessings on your house :pray:.

5 Likes

Now I have already something to do for the dayā€¦ Read al the daily tips for struggling Newbies! awsome Thanks steve!

6 Likes

Welcome! Read lots, post when you need to and come up with a plan! Wishing you every success on your journey :blush:

1 Like

Are you still on Antabuse?

If not how long were you on it?

Iā€™m currently on it and want to eventually stop when Iā€™ve got a long term of sobriety under my belt

Hi welcome to your new exciting life ā€¦ Iā€™m so happy you are going to aa meetings they truly saved my life ā€¦ i get so much from meetings. Just being around other addicts and listening to there stories makes me feel not so aloneā€¦Iā€™ve made lovely friendship in aa have a sponsor and work my 12 stepsā€¦ itā€™s amazing how it really does work when u work the programmeā€¦ good luck with your journey x

2 Likes

This will change your life. Go in with an open mind, a willingness to look inside and a sober life awaits

3 Likes

it sounds like you have so much beauty in your life with your gf, cats, family and home. glad youā€™re here! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks for al the support so far. I made it 2 days sober!
Trying to have a good sleep now, but probably I will sleep realy bad and having strange dreams.
But i dont care realy, better than waking up in the morning with massive hangover en full of shame and guilt!

Tomorrow is gone be a busy day at work, what normaly ends with me drinking a lot of a alcohol.
But Iam gonne stay strong! Day by Day!
:milk_glass: :cup_with_straw::coffee: :heart::pray::muscle:

8 Likes

Hi Darren, I was on Antabuse for short periods three different times, maybe 3 months at the most. The last time, when my permanent sobriety started, I was on it for about 4 weeks. Then I had intense vertigo for a few days and stopped the meds. And I felt really screwed, because I had been holding out on returning to AA. But my ass was on fire, so I went back to AA and I havenā€™t looked back since. Iā€™m happy to see you with some extended sober time, @DarrenUK, I really am :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Just one day at a time. Donā€™t drink today, and let tomorrow take care of itself.

4 Likes

Welcome!!

I gotta day it sounds like youā€™ve got a great start going there.

My advice is for you to get out of your comfort zone. For me that was going to AAā€¦youā€™ve already got a plan for that so YAY!!

My other suggestion is to start making your toolbox. You need your items on hand BEFORE temptation hits you. What you put in it is your choice but mine contains a letter I wrote to myself when I was feeling my worst to remind myself to never go there again. I also have some printouts on alcoholism to review and some prayers/mantras that I can repeat when Iā€™m struggling. I also have my AA chips to hold onto to remind me of how far Iā€™ve come.

I also recommend coming here as much as you can and read as much as you can. There is a search bar you can use to find posts on just about every question you could possibly have. Weā€™ve all been through it beforeā€¦sometimes several times!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

2 Likes

Youā€™ve made a big step already! Iā€™m 2 days sober so Iā€™m right there with you. I would do the same thing- drink until I fell asleep. Weā€™ve got this, friend! No more regrets! No more hangovers. No more black outs. Hereā€™s to a better life :+1:t2:

3 Likes

You and i started our journey on the same day!

1 Like

Hi there!
Welcome here šŸ™‹
Your working environment is hard I guess, but here are more people who are sober and still working in places like that. So you can do it too!
Here are some tips of the things that keep me sober:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I donā€™t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

Hope they are usefull for you too! :heart:
Today Iā€™m 270 days sober, if I can, so do you! :facepunch:

1 Like

Hi VSUe, I am working at my toolbox at the moment. Yesterday i made a ā€œthink-drinking listā€ witch i keep with me al the time. So when the cravings are coming i can read it.
Printouts on alcoholisme are also a great idea.
I already try to watch every day on you tube video about alcoholics and alcoholisme.
This help me a lot to focus my self.
Also a 15 min run in the morning helps me to focus me on the new sober day to come!

Thanks for yoursupport :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thats awsome! We are one the same quest!
We can support each other. Tonight at 22uur I Am 3 days sober. And you?
Good luck with staying sober today. You can do it! Day by day we stay sober for the rest of our life!

1 Like

Thanks or al the nice tips Butts. Awsomeā€¦ I can use some of them. :heart_eyes:
And you being sober for 270 days is even more awsome :wink::muscle:t3:

I hope one day i can also say that!

3 Likes