Help with other things to do

I don’t know what happens when you potentially begin to go blind.

What I do know is that driving, reading and viewing mostly anything in general is hard most days. This optocal journey has been a true testament to my strength and willingness to stay sober. It is hard almost all the time but I’m trying.

I’m looking for things to do.

What do yall like to do?

2 Likes

Walks in nature :innocent: My absolute fave thing :smile:

2 Likes

Listening to music/podcasts?

1 Like

Listening to music and audio books

2 Likes

Great minds think alike!

1 Like

I used to like running,and earlier this year I bought some inflatable kayaks which were nice for meandering down rivers and canals.:+1:

2 Likes

I’ve never tried podcasts - I’ll give it a go

That actually sounds fun. Maybe I’ll see if I can do that, just wander down a river

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions

I love to dance, moving to music, being goofy and having some fun. It’s definitely something you can do with your eyes closed (as long as you have a clear space and/ or pretty good spatial awareness!). Great way of getting the endorphins going.

I have also really been enjoying doing sound awareness meditation recently. This is from the Recovery Dharma program, one of the optional extensions for after you’ve settled in with some breath awareness.

"You may notice that there are sounds that come from inside or outside the space
you’re in, sounds of traffic, the movement of others in the room, or something else going on. If your attention has been drawn by the sound, just be aware of it. Stay with it long enough to notice the quality of the sound–vibration, tone, volume or intensity–being aware of the urge of the mind to label sound: as traffic, as voices, as music, etc. Try to experience the sound without the labels we put on it. Practice recognizing it as just vibrations in the eardrums, just hearing.

Once you’ve noticed the sound, let it go and bring your attention back to the breath. Let your breath be your anchor of awareness. Each time your awareness goes somewhere else, you can just gently come back to breath, without judgment."

And bringing the spirit of meditation and awareness to a walk in nature is brilliant, if your eyesight allows for it. Picking up on whatever sensations come to all the senses. Also other things like yoga which are very much about listening to your body and finding your own flow, once you have an idea of the moves (youtube yoga has lots of great tuition, if you can broadly see the teacher it is helpful, but it is still about listening and feeling how your body responds to the movement you make).

And also yes to listening to podcasts or talk radio. Such a huge variety of stuff out from comedy to documentary and everything in between.

3 Likes

I really appreciate your response. I have been meditating and I do find it relaxing and helpful. It brings calmness which is incredibly crucial for me to maintain. I’ve been listeing to podcasts and they’re honestly just not my thing, they’re so boring. But I am looking for new audio books to give a shot

I do like going out in nature and doing what I can when it’s possible. Sometimes I just get in modes where I can’t bare the idea of leaving the house, knowing I might not be able to see. And every single external factor possible keeps prolonging this process. The depth of my patience has become boundless- because it has to be -otherwise I’ll implode or just be angry all the time. It’s tedious and sometimes I stay in my room all day and never come out just because I know I’ll be able to see everything in my room. The reprieve is so nice I find it less and less a trial to be alone.

I dance, sing, draw, read when I can. I appreciate your suggestions so much. Anything to fill time while I wait. Anything to block out this apathy.

2 Likes

I like to listen to comedy shows. The BBC has loads on its talk radio stations, some on its BBC Sounds app (don’t know if available outside of the UK) as well as through other podcast sites. Jeeves & Wooster is one of my favourites, very easy listening and good fun. I think there are some versions that are audio books and some that are radio adaptations, depending where you find them. Would love to hear what you find, you will have to share any recommendations of things you like!

I can’t even begin to imagine how it must feel to lose your eyesight. Something that I know I take for granted. I really admire you for your honesty and the way you speak about how you are moving through it :sparkles:

2 Likes

I was wondering What are you are filling your time to wait for?..
…that reminded me of the waiting room Beetlejuice goes into with all those crazy characters that have gone to the afterlife!:joy:

2 Likes

I will definitely check out the BBC sound app. I do like comedy and perhaps having that on in the background will bring some joy :slight_smile:

I appreciate you saying that. It’s hard to move past it sometimes because most things I try lead me back to the fact that I can’t. Like… I have so many things I’m good at and enjoy but it’s slim pickens in terms of what I can do now. I think I’m used to it now accept when I try to attempt something new and I’m thwarted
I try to not be so hardened by it but sometimes I can’t help it. Thank you for listening and giving me suggestions :black_heart:

1 Like

Hahaha I totally know what scene your talking about!! Very accurate lol

At the moment I’m waiting for a pair of glasses that could potentially correct this onset vision degradation. I’ve been waiting for 5 weeks for them when it should’ve only taken 5-7 days. Processing keeps lagging - to say it’s been infuriating dealing with everyone’s lack of urgency does not begin to scratch the surface of what these last now 9 months have been like. Also ruling out other possible major causes of this problem and surgery which is likely… and I would really not like that. But I’m neither here or there about it anymore. Just want to keep living as best I can and remember I have so many reasons to be happy even when I’m in my most apathetic places.

Also I can’t speak to how happy it makes me to have been sober and stay that way throughout this process.

Just broke 8 months!

3 Likes

Tonight for me is eating a lot of food and watching a movie’

1 Like

I am listening to Count Arthur Strongs Radio Show at the moment. It’s an acquired taste but it makes me laugh out loud often!

I’ve enjoyed the sound app. I work from home so it’s often quiet, it’s been a nice change of pace from what I normally listen to!

1 Like

Have you been listening to any shows in particular? Glad you’re enjoying it!

I’m registered partially sighted and don’t see things the way others do yet I’m looking at the exact same thing they are. If it is beyond my ability to see it clear I use my imagination, the benefits of this is that what I imagine it to be doesn’t have any faults or blemishes it’s exactly how I want it to be. You can borrow my glasses if you want and look at life.

2 Likes