Helpful information for early recovery

I thought this might be a good thread we could add helpful tools for our peers in recovery. I have a couple papers on my fridge that I like to look at as a reminder of what might be going on with me.

11 Likes

Thank you for this. I hope to add to this once the days continue to build.

1 Like

Yes this is great. Thank you!!

1 Like

This is what helped me:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

5 Likes

Great stuff. I relate a lot to all of this :grinning:

2 Likes

Well is from a class I go to at the V.A. hospitals Intensive Outpatient treatment Program. It’s an Early recovery skills Class. I also did The DBT class. Let me dig out some more stuff and I’ll post it.

I will go through and try and find some stuff I thought was helpful and get it on here.

Did the same spreadsheet in my IOP. I’d recommend IOP to anyone, it’s like a preschool for getting sober, my counselor was a badass dude, forever grateful to him

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing these resources! I’m against the wall, and agree that exercise boosts my mood.

Novelty and nostalgia also help me. Browsing flea markets for curiosities, playing games from childhood, etc.

2 Likes

Yeah the wall stadge is really hard!!! Glad you are finding ways to get through it. Keep doing a great job it will be over before you know it. Stay positive because what you are doing is hard and your doing it. Your awsome and I wish you the best in life!!!:heart::pray::heart::pray:

1 Like

Appreciate the support, @deaineric! :slight_smile:

1 Like